Typography | Task 1: Exercises

 
-26/09/2025 - 31/10/2025/(Week 1 - Week 6)

-Takeguchi Shunta/0386416/Bachelor of Design in Creative Media

-Typography 

-Task 1: Exercises





TABLE OF CONTENTS






LECTURES

Lecture 0: Typography Introduction

Summary

-Typography is a fundamental skill set of design
-Typography is the act of creating letters
-Typography can be animation, web design, app design, book, poster, logotype, etc
-Reading books about typography helps understand it
-In 500 years, calligraphy became lettering and lettering became typography
-Calligraphy is writing letters
-Lettering is drawing the circumferences of letters
-Understanding the process to make good typography is crucial
-Design is an interactive process
-Typography also teaches how to present yourself, information, and communicate effectively
-Typography definition: the style and appearance of printed matter, according to the Oxford dictionary
-Font refers to the individual font or weight within the typeface(Georgia Regular, Georgia Italicand Georgia Bold)
-Typeface refers to the entire family of fonts/weights that share similar characteristics/styles(GeorgiaArialCourier)

Additional Study Links

This article explains the evolution of Roman capital letters, making them useful for everyday communication, and introduces three distinct styles of handwriting: Square Capitals, Rustic Capitals, and Roman Cursive. Each handwriting styles were developed for a different purpose by different people. 

While the former article focused on the evolution of the Roman capital letter, this article explains the letters used by various civilizations and their evolution. 


Lecture 1: Development

Summary

-Initially, writing meant scratching into wet clay with a sharpened stick or carving into stone with a chisel
-The tools used to write have a big influence on the written letters
-Modern Latin and Arabic letters originated from the Phoenician alphabet

Evolution from the Phoenician letter

-The Greeks developed a style of writing called 'boustrophedon'
-Square capitals: have serifs added to the finish of the main stroke, and some had rustic capitals to write faster and easier, which can be found in Roman monuments
-Uncials are integrated in uppercase and lowercase into writing and are more readable at a small size

                                       
                        Square capitals                                     Uncials

-Charlemagne, the first unifier of Europe, issued an edict using both majuscules, minuscules, capitalization, and punctuation, which can be seen in today's world
-Gutenberg developed the printing system; therefore, documenting information can be done more quickly
    
Text type classification by Alexander Lawson


Lecture 3: Typography rules

Summary

-Kerning: the automatic adjustment of the space between letters
-Letter-spacing: to add space between the letters
-Tracking: the addition and removal of space in a word or sentence
-Most typefaces are not designed for uppercase use
-We don't read text as individual letters, so loose letter-spacing makes readability less
-Uppercase letterforms are designed to be able to stand on their own
-Lowercase letterforms require counter-forms created between letters to maintain the line of reading, so it is not recommended to use letter-spacing or kerning for lowercase letterforms
-Centered and flush right is recommended to be used for short text. example: caption of image, axial layout(only for flush right)
-Justified is achieved by expanding or reducing spaces between words
-Rivers: the white space running vertically through the justified text, use good hyphenation and line breaks to avoid

Flush left, Flush right, Justified, Centered Text
   

-Leading: space between each line of text
-Gray value: the overall lightness or darkness of a block of text when viewed from a distance. If it's dark, not enough leading or kerning is needed; if it's light, too much leading or adjust the kerning
-Type that calls attention to itself before the reader can get to the actual words is simply interference
-Type with a relatively generous x-height or a relatively heavy stroke width produces a darker mass on the page, and vice versa
-High x-height means more readability

Anatomy of a typeface


-Type size should be large enough to be read easily at arm's length distance
-If leading is set too tightly, it encourages vertical eye movement; a reader can easily lose their place
-Leading should be plus two or three points to the typeface
-A good rule of thumb is to keep line length between 55 - 65 characters
-Well-formatted text has a middle gray value


Lecture 4: Typography rules2

Summary

-Pilcrow(¶) is a holdover from medieval manuscripts and a way to indicate paragraphs instead of creating paragraph space
-Cross-alignment is a structure in which the text bodies are arranged side by side
-To have good visual cross-alignment, ensure the leading and paragraph spacing have equal value
-Leading space: between two sentences
-Line spacing: baseline of the sentence to the descender of the upper sentence

Leading and line spacing difference


-Indentation should be the same as the typeface size, and line spacing
-Indentation was introduced to reduce space by not creating paragraph space
-Indentation should be used in justified text
-Widow: short line of type left alone at the end of a column of text
-Orphan: a short line of type left alone at the start of a new column
-Widows and orphans should be avoided
-Solution for the widow is to rebreak line endings throughout the paragraph, and kern the rebreaked sentence to avoid ragging
-Reducing line length might be a solution for the orphan


Widow and orphan


-Italic, bold, changing typeface, changing color, and adding background color are used to highlight specific text
-Generally, sans-serif typefaces tend to look larger than serif, so when changing typefamily to sans-serif, good to reduce the point size by 0.5
-To avoid numbers from standing out, reduce the point size by 0.5 or use lowercase numbers

-There are circumstances where extending the quotation or the special character outside the reading axis may be necessary
-Prime(′, ″) is a character for length, time, angle, and has a straight line and a slightly tilted
-Quote(‘ ’, “ ”) is a character for surrounding specific words and has a curved line
-It is important to decide the hierarchy of information
-When cross-alignment, the text point size is different in two bodies of text, it is able to maintain cross-alignment by doubling the leading space to the smaller letter's leading


Lecture 2: Basic

Summary

-Understanding a letterform's component parts makes it much easier to identify typefaces

Basic type anatomy(Image source: http://www.kupper.org.uk/graphics/anatomy-of-type/)


-Median: The imaginary line defining the x-height of letterforms
-Stroke: Any line that defines the basic letterform
-Lowercase has a stem stroke that reaches towards the ascender height, and the stroke is larger than the capital letters. This difference was made to give the impression that it is of equal height
-Bracket: The transition between the serif and the stem(T, 1)
-Crotch: The interior space where two strokes meet(K, V)
-em/en: An em is a space equal to the point size of the typeface; an en is half of an em. Used in dash or space.
-Ligature: The character formed by the combination of two or more letterforms



-Stress: The orientation of the letterform, indicated by the thin stroke in round forms(o, e)

Stress examples(image source: https://www.readz.com/web-fonts-and-typography)


-Swash: The flourish that extends the stroke of the letterform. Should not use swash for capital letters to form a word
-Better to choose a typeface that has many type families
-Small capitals: Uppercase letterforms draw to the x-height of the typeface. Used to avoid sticking out from the paragraph, especially in acronyms
-If the typeface does not have small capitals, it can not make it to small capitals. Do not use a style command that generates a small capital based on uppercase forms
-Uppercase numerals: These numerals are the same height as the uppercase letters are all set to the same kerning width. Used in tabular materials or in any situation that calls for uppercase letters
-Lowercase numerals: These numerals are set to x-height with ascenders and descenders. Lower numerals are common in serif typefaces than in sans-serif typefaces. Used to avoid the numerals from ticking out
-Small capitals do not have italic
-A slightly lighter stroke in Roman is known as 'book'
-Oblique: Typeface designed not based on handwriting; if so, it is called italic
-Boldface is also called medium, black, super, and poster
-Even lighter stroke than 'light' is called thin
-Condense is also called compressed




INSTRUCTION






PROCESS WORK

1. Type Expression

The six words given in my class were Fall, Bloom, Bend, Disappear, Swipe, and Focus, and I picked four words from them: Fall, Bloom, Bend, and Swipe.
I started to sketch by searching the definition in the dictionary(All definitions below from the Cambridge dictionary: https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/).
Fallto suddenly go down onto the ground or towards the ground without intending to or by accident
        to belong to a particular group, subject, or area
        etc...
Bloom: When a flower blooms, it opens or is open, and when a plant or tree blooms, it produces flowers
            to grow or develop successfully
Bend: to(cause to) curve
          to move your body or part of your body so that it is not straight
          etc...
Swipeto hit or try to hit something, especially with a sideways movement
            to steal
            etc...

After I searched the definition, I started sketching. 
It was tough and time-consuming to come up with creative ideas during the sketching step. It really required setting aside my preconceived ideas, looking at the word from different perspectives, and trying out the ideas I came up with. It is easy to make an obvious and straightforward idea, for example, the word 'fall', making each letter fall gradually downwards. But I wanted to make creative sketches, so I tried transforming characters as much as possible, swapping the text and background colors to make the background black and the text white. It took a lot of trial and error to come up with a design that was imaginative yet recognizable at first sight. I often see logos for companies and brands with amazing typography, but through this exercise, I really understood how much effort and attention to detail go into those creations.

Type expression sketch1(27 September 2025)


Type expression sketch2(27 September 2025)

     
In the feedback on week 3, Mr. Max advised three things
-'SWIPE' could be better if it made the slide button as the letter P
-Need more original and lucid design for 'Bloom'
-'bend' could be better by placing multiple words on the lines of a rounded rectangle
And there is a sketch I made after the feedback below

Type expression rework sketch(6 October 2025)


After the week 3 illustrator tutorial, I moved on to digitalization. Since I already had some experience with Illustrator, this step was relatively easy. However, I struggled to make ‘bend’ look bent and to transform the letters effectively. Through repeated fine adjustments, I tried to create the impression that the upper letters are stretched and spread out horizontally, while the lower letters are shrunk and narrowed. 
I created a new design for 'SEIPE' since I felt the letter P does not so much look like P in the slide button shape(one on the right in the screenshot below). But in the end, Mr. Max and I chose the slide button design. 

Type expression digitalization(9 October 2025)


Type expression digitalization final work(12 October 2025)


Type expression digitalization final work PDF(12 October 2025)


In the animation task, I chose the word 'SWIPE', since it would be the simplest option to make it animated. I proceeded to create the movement, which is the slide button in the letter 'P' being swiped and moving from the bottom to the top. 
To make the movement smooth, I created a total of nine layers. There are three layers showing the button in different positions: one at the bottom, one in the middle, and one at the top. There are also three layers showing the movement from the bottom to the middle, and the same number showing the movement from the middle to the top. 


Type expression animation draft 1(15 October 2025)


During my consultation with Mr Max, he suggested adding the button movement back to the bottom. I therefore copied and pasted the layers to make the button move back down to the bottom. As soon as I saw the reworked version, I felt that it was much improved, as the two-way movement makes the concept easier to understand.
I also tried to adjust the transition time to make it more relatable to the slide button. For the second draft, I set the time length to 0.1 seconds for the layers where the button is at the top and bottom, and no delay for other layers. This setting was to emphasize that the button has reached the top or the bottom. 


Animation timeline setting for draft 2(24 October 2025)


However, I found out that some of the slide buttons are using the movement setting called 'ease-in-out'. Ease-in-out means an animation starts slowly, speeds up in the middle, and then slows down again at the end. It makes the movement feel more natural and smooth, like how things move in the real world.


Slide button ease-in-out movement


To put the move-in-out movement in my work, I set the time length as shown in the screenshot below. 
Layer 1(button at the bottom): 0.1s
Layer 2(button moving upwards): 0.09s
Layer 3(button moving upwards): 0.06s
Layer 4(button moving upwards): 0.03s
Layer 5(button at the middle): No delay
Layer 6(button moving upwards): 0.03s
Layer 7(button moving upwards): 0.06s
Layer 8(button moving upwards): 0.09s
Layer 9(button at the top): 0.1s
Same setting for the movement from the top to the bottom. You can see the slight difference in comparison below.


Animation setting for ease-in-out movement(24 October 2025)



   

Comparison between draft 2(right) and the ease-in-out movement(left)
(24 October 2025)


If you can not see the difference in the movement, check the URL of the GIF below.

Animation final work(24 October 2025)



2. Text formatting

Exercise 1

The first exercise in text formatting was the kerning and letter-spacing exercise, using own name and adjusting for each typeface. During the work, I realized that my first name, 'Shunta', tends to make big spaces between each letter, especially S and h, n and t. So for all typefaces, I kerned the space between letters to make them more natural.


Kerning and letter-spacing exercise final draft (24 October 2025)



Exercise 2

The second exercise was designing the layout tailored to the presented text, following the rules.
Rules
- Font size (8–12)
- Line Length (55–65/50–60 characters)
- Text Leading (2, 2.5, 3 points larger than font size)
- Paragraph spacing (follows the leading)
- Ragging (left alignment) / Rivers (Left Justification)
- Cross Alignment 
- No Widows / Orphans
Producing creative works within these rules was a bit tricky. I used different-sized pictures to make each layout creative. 


Exercise 2 draft 1(24 October 2025)


The hardest part was to avoid widows. One or two widows came out in each layout after I put the text into the layout, so I used mostly letter-spacing and kerning to make them disappear. While I was making adjustments, words were moved to other columns, and sometimes the values ​​were changed so much that it looked unnatural. I learned that to eliminate widows, it is necessary to try various methods, such as changing kerning, letter-spacing, and sometimes changing column widths, to find the optimal solution.
I also struggled to make the ragging less. I found align left more intriguing than justified left; therefore, I applied it for most of the layouts in draft 1. I used some techniques to make the ragging less, but it was still significant. Mr. Max suggested using justified left, so it ended up using justified left. 


Exercise 2 final draft (24 October 2025)


Mr. Max approved the reworked page eight. So it will be my final work. For page eight, I was thinking of the layout with three columns at first(image below).


First idea of page 8(24 October 2025)


But turned out the characters per line will be only around 40 characters. Eventually, to solve that problem, I made it two columns. Although. I did not change it roughly; this layout was completed. 
I would like you to pay attention to the blank space in this piece. I was able to create a sense of presence by placing the head and photo in an exquisite position relative to the white space created by the text placed in the upper left and bottom right. I tend to divide the paragraph into three each for two columns in the other layouts, since it will look organized. But in this layout, I intentionally divide the paragraph into two and four in order to create the blank.


Formatting detail
HEAD

- Font/s: Adobe Caslon Pro Bold

- Type Size/s: 24 pt

- Leading: 24 pt

- Paragraph spacing: 0 mm
 
BODY

- Font/s: ITC New Baskerville Std  Roman

- Type Size/s: 10 pt

- Leading: 12 pt

- Paragraph spacing: 12 pt

- Characters per line: 60
characters
- Alignment: justified left
 
Page Margins
- top + left + right + bottom: 17mm 14.5mm 14.5mm 17mm

- Columns: 2

- Gutter: 10mm


Exercise 2 final work JPEG(24 October 2025)
 

Exercise 2 final work PDF(24 October 2025)



Exercise 2 final work with grid JPEG(24 October 2025)


Exercise 2 final work with grid PDF(24 October 2025)




FEEDBACK

Week 2:

General Feedback: I learned the basic Illustrator use, how to create a new file, use of different tools, etc...

Specific Feedback: I needed to come up more original design for 'Bloom'. And for 'swipe', the Mr. Max gave me an improvement proposal. 


Week 3:

General Feedback: I learned how to make the typography expression work into animation by using Photoshop. Also learned how to export Illustrator work to a PDF and JPG file.

Specific Feedback: 'bend' will be better without the round box. 'SWIPE' or 'FALL' can be the easiest to carry out an animation. 


Week 4:

General Feedback: Mr. Max gave an InDesign and task 2, Text formatting tutorial.

Specific Feedback: 'SWIPE' animation should add more frames and make the slide button go back to the bottom. 

Week 5:

General Feedback: The e-portfolio should be submitted by this Sunday. 

Specific Feedback: Better to use justified left, if struggling to avoid ragging. Page eight was approved for final work.




REFLECTION

Experience

Personally, I enjoy looking at magazines and websites with sophisticated layouts, so I found the lecture content fascinating, as it felt like I was learning, from the very basics, how they are created. I had experience using Illustrator, but this was my first time creating a serious piece of work, so it was helpful to have detailed step-by-step explanations given on Teams and in class. Regarding the type expression I used in Illustrator, I struggled to transform the letters in organized ways(especially for the word 'bend'). As for the InDesign exercises, I believe I was able to learn the basics of using it, but I found it challenging to create creative work while adhering to the rules.


Observations

What I observed through this class is that typography is very important in visual communication. I felt this strongly through the lectures and exercises. I am going to describe why I thought that in the Findings section.


Findings

If asked to create posters or materials, the old me would have thought it sufficient to simply convert information into text or illustrations and list them out. However, now I believe the value of visuals that are viewer-friendly and express creativity is increasing in today's information-saturated society. While communication through dialogue is highly valued in society, I feel visual communication should be equally valued. This is because visual communication is clearly more explicit and superior in convenience compared to dialogue communication. Typography has a long history, pursuing both convenience and clarity. The wisdom cultivated within it holds value for everyone living in civilized society to learn. While meticulous ragging and kerning may seem stressful, the accumulation of this work leads to providing viewers with unconscious readability and beauty. Therefore, I intend to continue cultivating knowledge in this class and move forward to the next challenge.




FURTHER READING


This article explains how people react to different typography with interesting experiments. I especially found it profound for the trick 'ark' question part. Only a typeface difference makes a 36% gap in the correct answer rate. It was a surprising outcome, and I could learn that the lower readability typefaces may assist people in thinking deeply and analytically, whereas higher legibility typefaces assist people in reading and thinking fast according to their intuition. I felt that the typography is connected to the reader's information processing and way of thinking. 



This website teaches you how you set your hierarchical headings in your own work. The suggestion here seems a bit subjective, but it reflects the knowledge of a professional typographer. This website introduces many other typography hints, so as a beginner, it is very useful and helpful. 


The Vignelli Canon - Page 92 White Space

He mentions the importance of white space multiple times in this book. On this page, he explains the role of white space. 

White space, non only separates the different parts of the message but helps to position the message in the context of the page. Tight margins establish a tension between text, images and the edges of the page. Wider margins deflate the tension and bring about a certain level of serenity to the page. Tight type setting transforms words into lines just as loose type settings transform words in to dots.

I sense that he put the function of white space into the words really well. We read not only the text in black, but also the white space at the same time. We catch the impression in the contrast of black text and white space. So I want to be careful not only text and grey value, but white space.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Digital photography and imaging - Project 1