Typography | Task 2: Typographic Exploration and Communication

 
-31/10/2025 - 13/11/2025/(Week 6 - Week 7)

-Takeguchi Shunta/0386416/Bachelor of Design in Creative Media

-Typography 

-Task 2: Typographic Exploration & Communication (Text Formatting and Expression)



 

TABLE OF CONTENTS





 

LECTURES


Lecture 5: Understanding

Summary

-The design of letters is not always symmetrical, even though the structures of the letters are symmetrical. This is to create both internally harmonious and individually expressive letterforms
-Below, letter form 'A' in different typefaces, both have different slope stroke width, and for Baskerville, different arcs

Baskerville 'A'(left) and Univers 'A'(right)


-Subtle differences make a huge impact on the readability and the outlook of the letters
-It is important to consistently replicate the unique feature added to the letterform when making a new letterform
-Curved lowercase letterforms, such as 's', must rise above the median(or sink below the baseline) to appear the same size as the vertical and horizontal strokes
-Curved lowercase letterforms adjoin less space, touching the median line, and it looks smaller when letters are equal size

Curved lowercase letterforms rising above the median


-Counterform(counter) is the negative space within or around the letterform
-When letters are joined to form words, the counterform includes the space between them
-How well we handle the counterforms when setting text determines how easily we can read what has been set
-The designer designed letterforms with optimum readability, so adding too much letterspace is not recommended

Forms and counterforms


-Examination in close detail gives a good understanding of the form and counterform of a letter
-Analyzing existing same category letterforms is crucial to understanding the convention forming of particular letterforms
-Contrast is an important element when creating a differentiation of information

contrast example


Lecture 6: Screen&Print

Summary

-Experience of typography on screen changes based on how the page is rendered, because typesetting happens in the browser
-Experimentation level of typography in web design or app design is rather restricted, since it requires high coding skills
-Caslon, Garamond, and Baskerville are the most common typefaces for print. Because of their characteristic, which are elegant and intellectual, but also highly readable when in a small text size
-If the book is text-based, it is not experimental as typography since it is a question of cost
-Typefaces for screen use are optimized and often modified to maintain readability. Such as a taller x-height(or reduced ascenders or descenders), wider letterforms, more open counters, heavier thin strokes and serifs, reduced stroke contrast, and modified curves and angles
-The old screen couldn't express the delicate typefaces because of a lack of clarity, but this problem is no longer there
-Verdana, Georgia are designed for screen use
-For smaller size typefaces in the screen environment, there is more open spacing(leading, letterspacing) to improve character recognition and readability
-Hyperlink: a word or image that can be clicked on to jump to a new document or a new section within the current document 
-16 pixel text on a screen is about the same size as text printed in a book. If reading a book at arm's length text size should be at least 12 points, which is about the same size as 16 pixels on screen
-20~24 point text size is normal for screen reading
-Different typeface designs or variations between the operating software are no longer an issue, thanks to Google Fonts
-Text on a different-sized screen differs in proportion because they have different-sized pixels

Pixel size on different screens


-Static typography has minimal characteristics in expressing words
-The impression level of static typography leaves on the viewer is closely knitted to their emotional connection
-Temporal media(such as film, motion graphics) offer typographers opportunities to dramatize type, for letterforms to become fluid and kinetic





INSTRUCTION







PROCESS WORK


Research

I chose the Bauhaus document for my task 2. I have heard the word and know that it was a German design movement, but I never knew exactly what it was, so I began by searching for the meaning. Below is what I learned from websites(https://officialbauhaus.jp/blogs/magazine/what-is-bauhaus?srsltid=AfmBOoqJ7N-eGBAI9x0uVJ2UpveLvGtQufL3ExbGu8sWvaHRp9tkZL_chttps://favorric.com/blogs/column/history-bauhaus?srsltid=AfmBOoqdkMxv0g6AlIXd1ijEM79ho4FGMPhNUohHhKT2AjIa2sQZzsdH).

-The Bauhaus was an art school founded in Weimar, Germany, in 1919 by architect Walter Gropius.
-Bauhaus design is rational, simple, and functional.
-Key tenets of Bauhaus design are "form follows function" and "less is more."
-Showy design is not beautiful; functional design is.
-Simple geometric forms such as circles, squares, and triangles are common in Bauhaus design, art, and architecture.
-Primary colors (red, yellow, and blue) are used boldly yet sparingly.
-One of the guiding principles of Bauhaus design is the idea of ​​"truth to materials."
-The Bauhaus used modern materials of the early 20th century, such as glass, steel, cellophane, and plywood.
-The simple design and materials allowed Bauhaus designs to be easily mass-produced and accessible to a wide audience.

 
Bauhaus design posters


And from the Bauhaus manifesto (https://bauhausmanifesto.com/), I learned that the Bauhaus places importance on craftsmanship, and criticizes unproductive 'artists'. According to Weimar Walter Gropius, the craftsmanship is the source of creativity and good design.


Ideation

My first sketch came from the beginning of the Bauhaus manifesto, 'The ultimate goal of all art is the building!'. I created the 'B' to look like a building by drawing with right angles and straight lines. I found the letter 'B' design when I was exploring graffiti drawing, a few years ago. 

Graffiti-style letter 'B'


Layout sketch 1


Layout sketch 2


Layout sketch 3


In the other sketch, I focus more on using shapes. I installed triangle, circle, square, and rectangle. I felt it would be boring installing only shapes; therefore, I placed the black rectangle on the head. And I also tried to bring out a stylish impression with that. 

layout sketch 4


I handed these 4 sketches in to Mr. Max and got approval to proceed to digitize on Illustrator for sketches 1, 2, and 4. 
In the digitalizing process of sketches 1 and 2, I put effort into creating the 'B' shape. Since the shape is made with simple lines, I made different art boards with fine adjustments to see which is the most sophisticated design. 

'B' design draft 1


'B' design draft 2



'B' design draft 3


'B' design draft 4


Mr. Max suggested that draft 4 is the best as the letters fit in the shape the most.
Digitalizing sketch 4 was much easier since just adding shapes to the art board. As I thought in the sketch process, laying the rectangle on top of the letter gave it a stylish look. Making it more stylish, adding white color to the rectangle stroke in draft 2. 

Shapes design draft 1


Shapes design draft 2


But because of the rectangle reduce readability, Mr. Max advised the modification below. Deleting the crossbar in the letter 'A' and extending the rectangle through the middle of the letters.


Shapes design draft after consultation


I sense it increased the readability, but also the impact on viewers by extending the rectangle full of the screen. 
I also created a draft not in my initial sketch. While I was playing around on Illustrator, I found the option(alt) + arrow key, I can paste the selected object in the direction of the arrow. I used this function and created three-dimensional look like drafts shown below. 

Three-dimensional design draft 1


Three-dimensional design draft 2


Three-dimensional design draft 3


They are a simple design, but also impressive and organized. Mr. Max, in the consultation, recommended the improved design shown below. Filling black in the closed counter of 'A' to create a sense of unity with 'H', and extending stems of 'H' up to the top and bottom of the layout to raise a dynamic impression.

Three-dimensional design draft after consultation


I moved on to InDesign, arranging the sub-headings and text for each three different designs. I used sans-serif typefaces, Univers and Futura, only for this draft, since I thought that the simple design without decoration matched the Bauhaus concept. 
There wasn't much exploration in the text, but for the sub-headings, I experimented with different type families and placements and went with the ones I liked best. Many of my designs use long lines and rectangles, so by placing text above them, I tried to express the continuity of the lines.

InDesign draft


Final outcome

Mr. Max recommended a spread 1 or 6 for the final outcome, and I chose spread 1. Spread 1 looks more original than the others, so I felt it would make a more impression on viewers. 

Final outcome JPEG


Final outcome PDF


Final outcome with grid JPEG


Final outcome with grid PDF


HEAD

-Font/s: Futura Std light condensed
-Type Size/s: Around 350pt(outlined for adjustment)
-Leading: 0
-Paragraph spacing: 0
 
BODY

-Font/s: Univers LT Std 55 Roman
-Type Size/s: 20pt
-Leading: 23pt
-Paragraph spacing: 23pt
-Characters per-line: 26~42 
-Alignment: Justify with last line aligned left
 
Page Margins

 Left page
-Top + Inside + Outside + Bottom: 100px + 80px + 280px + 20px
-Columns: 2
-Gutter: 60px

Right page
-Top + Inside + Outside + Bottom: 100px + 150px + 200px + 20px
-Columns: 2
-Gutter: 60px





FEEDBACK


Week 6

General Feedback: I learned the process of doing task 2.

Specific Feedback: E-Portfolio is following the instructions and looks nice and organized. 


Week 7

General Feedback: Introduction to task 2 process

Specific Feedback: My sketches look good enough to move on to digitalization. For digitalized sketches, Sketch 1: the one with bigger letters is better. Sketch 2: The line in the middle should be thinner so that it is more readable. Place shapes in organized positions. Sketch 3: It would be better to fill the closed space in 'A' with black. Extend the vertical line of 'H' to make it look more unique.

Week 8

General Feedback: Introduction to task 3

Specific Feedback: For final work, the first or sixth spread in the draft is recommended. 





REFLECTION


Experience

As Mr. Max said in the Task 2 briefing, this task combined the expression and text formatting from Task 1. Therefore, I did not learn many new things; I applied the knowledge and skills I had learned in Task 1. The hardest part was coming up with creative ideas. Creating an attractive layout is not so difficult; however, in this work, I needed to incorporate a concept into the design. In my case, Bauhaus. I struggled to create a design that would allow viewers to feel the Bauhaus without being excessive. 
Arranging the text boxes and letter spacing was burdensome and time-consuming since I had to try several ideas to see what looked better. 


Observations

I felt it was important to understand the content when making text-based work, such as a magazine. I started this task by researching what the Bauhaus is, which helped me determine the style and mood I wanted to convey. Creating a design based on the content can give an organized impression and allow the viewer to appreciate the work more deeply.


Findings

I mentioned I used the graffiti style of design when sketching part, so I thought that adapting different genres of design may construct a creative idea. When I felt stuck in conceiving new ideas, I took a look at seniors' work or Bauhaus design posters on the internet, but I found my idea after looking at these references to be pretty similar to them, and no trick. So I changed my approach, and I came up with the first sketch design. If there is a clear concept, I tend to search for references regarding it, so to make a change, I learned it is good to explore something different from the concept. I might have the same situation as a design student, so I want to utilize this method.





FURTHER READING



This website teaches tips for better typography on screen use. Each tip was introduced with a clear example image, so it was straightforward to understand. Especially the second tip, about line height(leading) seems practical for me. 

'Here’s the thing with headings — they’re generally short. Usually one line of text, sometimes two. In extreme cases, they break into three lines. But that’s it. A line height of around 140% is recommended for body text, so full paragraphs. When the same is applied to headings it looks like the lines are drifting apart. Like they don’t belong together (left example in Fig 2). Reduce the line height of headings to somewhere between 110 and 120%. The headings will look more compact, cohesive and polished.'

Large line height in a heading versus a smaller one


For the heading, I was putting a big number as line height, since it is a heading, which should be large and give impact. But the difference above is obvious, so I will utilize this tip for future exercises. 


A Type Primer - Page 88 English is not Chinese

On this page author explains the difference between English and Chinese text structure and character. Chinese characters have the same width, so it makes it easier to read top to bottom, but English characters are not. When designing from top to bottom in English, such as with headings, I will be careful not to include overly complex words or multiple words.


A Type Primer - Page 146 ~ 155 Expressing hierarchy

In this section, the author demonstrates how designers can establish a hierarchy using an apple tart recipe as a practical example. Changing different elements, the author created 4 options. I noticed the options gradually became better and clearer in information. I learned that in order to create a clear hierarchy, it is important to use different methods depending on the type of information.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Typography | Task 1: Exercises

Digital photography and imaging - Project 1