Digital photography and imaging - Project 4
-26/11/2025 - 06/01/2026(Week 10 - Week 13)
-Takeguchi Shunta/0386416/Bachelor of Design in Creative Media
-Digital photography and imaging
-Project 4
ARTWORKS
REFLECTION
It was required to connect my passion to the idea for this project, so I took a long time to conceive ideas. Eventually, I decided on this idea since I had a lot of photos from travel and the ocean. In the After Effects process, I think I could add animation effectively, so the poster may look simple, but the video appears unique and smooth.
If I had to mention a point to improve, I didn't think about the animation during the Photoshop process, so I feel the animation would be more dynamic if I planned for the animation when composing objects.
PROCESS WORK
Week 10
I started with idea development. I wrote a biography about myself and a statement about my work.
INTRO
I am a Japanese male, Shunta. I am 20 years old.
PARAGRAPH 1
What is your dream?
My dream is to travel abroad more. I have been to Malta, America, Australia, and Malaysia. I want to travel to more countries in the future.
PARAGRAPH 2
What’s motivate you to achieve your dream?
I really like to see new views, only I can see them by travelling. The sunset view from seaside hill in Malta, the Australian wild beach, they were all amazed me. Remembering these feelings that come after seeing an enormous view really makes me want to travel.
SUMMARY
How do you want to visualize your dream into an artwork?
I want to use the pictures I took while I was traveling.
INTRO
Since I have travel memories with the oceans, I want to focus on the oceans for this artwork. So I will use the picture of the ocean in my travel album.
PARAGRAPH 1
What is the concept behind it?
To stand out the concept ‘travelling’, I want to use my hometown ocean pictures, and make space between overseas ocean pictures.
PARAGRAPH 2
What is the message you want people to understand it?
I want people to feel the beauty of the oceans. They are all connected as one, but each country, each place, introduces us to a different view.
SUMMARY
What is your motto/ quote?
Go seek the bigger ocean.
So my work theme will be traveling and the oceans.
Next, I draw a simple sketch to determine my artwork roughly.
I picture at the bottom is my town ocean picture, and I will draw a border above I will put 2~3 of my travel ocean pictures. I will figure out what filter to add for pictures in the Photoshop process. And there are some objects, my selfie, walking, airplane, bench, and a warning sign. I will crop them from a travel picture and paste them into a nice composition.
Week 11
I received feedback from the professor that the sketch needed to be clearer, so I redrew it.
Additionally, I drew a new design sketch, which is similar to sketch 1, but I added alternating left and right margins to the photo. I thought it would be more unique and visually entertaining than putting photos like sketch 1.
I got approval with sketch 1 eventually, so I started to Photoshop process from week 12.
Week 12
I moved to the Photoshop process. I started by choosing ocean pictures that I took while traveling. The pictures I chose are below.
Picture 1 @Chiba(my hometown)
Picture 2 @Valetta, Malta
Picture 3 @Gold Coast, Australia
Picture 4 @Sunshine Coast, Australia
I intended to choose the pictures where they are taken from the front, facing the oceans, and where there are horizons. I wanted to help people understand my concept for the artwork by selecting the pictures that have something in common. And I also tried to pick the picture from the different locations, as you can see in the captions.
I paste the pictures like below and add a selective color layer, so that they look more like memorable travel pictures.
Photoshop process 1
After that, I cropped and placed the objects. I chose pictures that remind people of oceans and travel memories. The bench, beach warning sign, and my selfie walking are from my photo album.
Seashells
Airplane
Palm tree
Bench @St. Julian’s, Malta
Beach Warning sign @Sunshine Coast, Australia
Photoshop process 2
1. Making a 50% opacity grey color layer
2. Adding Gaussian noise
3. Blending mode: Lighten
4. Create a clipping mask
I also put a photo filter on the objects and adjusted the curves. They look like vintage sepia pictures now.
I did not include the text in the sketch, but I found it nice to place text on the horizon, so I adapted it as below.
Photoshop process 5
The artwork looks nice so far, but I felt the space between the ocean pictures could be more creative. Therefore, I filled them with colors. I took care of picking colors and added the noise effect to match the mood of this artwork.
After that, I showed the work to the professor, and he suggested making more contrast for my selfie. So the reworked and final work is below. Overall, I think I could express the old travel magazine style by adding effects to the pictures and objects.
Final poster work
Week 13
I finished the poster last week, so I moved to the After Effects process.
Final poster artwork
I want to make this video look like I'm walking. Therefore, I made the ocean photos move to the left. As they move to the left, the parts of the picture that were cut off on the right side appear.
After Effects process screenshot 1
I applied the same position movement as ocean pictures to the text and the objects. Also, I added the scale transition. This was to illustrate that objects appear larger as you get closer to them and smaller as you move farther away. My selfie walks towards the right, so the palm tree and seashells appear smaller, while the warning sign and bench appear larger gradually. For the airplane, I set it appear smaller steadily since I wanted to express it flying up to the sky.
For my selfie, at first, since the background and objects move, I thought changing my position wouldn't be necessary, but staying still made me look slightly detached. So I tried to move a small amount in the same direction as the objects. The objects were set to move about -250 from the start to the end of the video, so I set my selfie to move about -100. This allowed me to add movement to my selfie and make it look like I was walking.
After Effects process screenshot 3
To make the video more creative, I looked for a video to insert on the internet. I found a seagull flying free download video(https://cdn.pixabay.com/video/2021/08/17/85400-588675439_small.mp4). I placed it on the top right blank space, and the length was 11 seconds, so I duplicated and reversed the timeline. I feel the video got more lively and playful with the seagull movement.
I tried to put another seagull or yacht video downloaded, but I sensed it looks mess, so I kept it simple with the one seagull video. After Effects process screenshot 4
After that, I searched for background audio. My concept is the ocean, therefore I downloaded ocean wave audio(https://cdn.pixabay.com/audio/2022/06/07/audio_b9bd4170e4.mp3?filename=ocean-waves-112906.mp3), and also seagull audio(https://cdn.pixabay.com/audio/2025/11/13/audio_ba50008882.mp3?filename=seagulls-435999.mp3).
Only nature sounds seemed to have no liveliness, so I searched for free download music that is like lounge music to suit the concept, and inserted it(https://cdn.pixabay.com/audio/2023/10/16/audio_8885c52943.mp3?filename=amatry-artbybigvee-171818.mp3).
For the last, I adjusted the starting point of audios and levels to make it harmonious.
After Effects process screenshot 5




.jpg)






















Comments
Post a Comment