Illustration & Visual Narrative | Task 02: Composition

-Week 3 - Week 6

-Takeguchi Shunta/0386416/Bachelor of Design in Creative Media



DOCUMENTATION

For this task, I needed to make a background for the character created in task 1 and incorporate it into a card design. 
I selected the shark character for this task since I like the dynamicness of the artwork, and it would be a good challenge to express the ocean texture in Illustrator. 
I made the moodboard before moving to the sketch process. 

Moodboard


I started to draw three sketches. For each sketch, I include the composition technique.

Sketch 1
In this sketch, I maintained the original character sketch I made in task 1. I tried to put three different environments and divide them by the Rule of Thirds, underwater, ocean surface, and sky, so that it would be a unique background. And I had feedback from the professor to make the fish bigger and closer to create a sense of distance, so I made them bigger in the sketch below. 

Sketch 1


Sketch 2
In this sketch, I focused more on the shark's movement and made it look more dynamic than the first sketch by drawing the shark bending its body around the tail. I used the Rule of Thirds like the Sketch 1, but this time, the middle and bottom spaces are underwater, and the top space is the surfer and sky background.

Sketch 2


Sketch 3
In this sketch, I put more focus on the surfer. I imagine the moment when the surfer almost finished his wave ride. I used the Golden triangle composition for this sketch. The shark, surfboard, and diagonally crossing waves created an interesting relationship.

Sketch 3


From the sketches above, I chose sketch 1 because I thought it could give a big impression at first sight with the big shark in the center. Also, I felt it would match the most with the card design process later since it highlights the shark. 
Shark lineart


Shark digitalization


The shark digitalization is finished, so I moved to the card design process. I referred to the week 6 lesson, but made a change to make it original. 

Week 6 lesson


Card design




FINAL OUTPUT

Shark final output

Shark final output with the Rule of Thirds


Shark card design final output




TECHNIQUES APPLIED

I applied the Rule of Thirds composition technique to this artwork. As the red horizontal lines in the final output show, I placed the sky at the top, the ocean in the middle, and the underwater scene at the bottom. The intersection of the top red line draws the viewer's attention to the sharks’ eyes and makes them feel as if they are encountering the shark.



SELF REFLECTION

I struggled to express the texture of the ocean surface and underwater. I just drew random lines by using the brush tools this time, so I want to explore better features to draw them. I also need to learn how to make the shark more realistic, since now it looks flat.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Typography | Task 1: Exercises

Digital photography and imaging - Project 1