Advanced Typography | Task 1: Exercises

- 21/4/2026 ~ 18/4/2026/ (Week 1 - Week 4)

- Takeguchi Shunta/0386416/Bachelor of Design in Creative Media

- Advanced Typography GCD60104

- Task 1: Exercises



 

TABLE OF CONTENTS




 

LECTURES

Lecture 1: Typographic Systems
- 'All design is based on a structural system' by Kimberly Elam.
- The eight major variations are Axis, Radial, Dilatational, Random, Grid, Transitional, Modular, and Bilateral.
- Typographical organization is complex because the elements are dependent on communication to function. 
- 'The typographic system has a set of rules that is unique and provides a sense of purpose that focuses and directs the decision making' by Kimberly Elam.
- Gradually, designers can use their intuition in their work.
- Axis System: All elements are organized to the left or right of a single axis.

Fig 1.1, Axis System, week 1, 18/4/2026


- Radial System: All elements are extended from a point of focus.

Fig 1.2, Radial System, week 1, 18/4/2026


- Dilatational System: All elements expand from a central point in a circular fashion.

Fig 1.3, Dilatational System, week 1, 18/4/2026


- Random System: Elements appear to have no specific pattern or relationship.

Fig 1.4, Random System, week 1, 18/4/2026


- Grid System: A system of vertical and horizontal divisions. Most common system.

Fig 1.5, Grid System, week 1, 18/4/2026


- Transitional System: An informal system of layered banding. 

Fig 1.6, Transitional System, week 1, 18/4/2026


- Modular System: A series of non-objective elements that are constructed as standardised units (same size units).

Fig 1.1.7, Modular System, week 1, 18/4/2026


- Bilateral System: All texts are arranged symmetrically on a single axis.

Fig 1.1.8, Bilateral System, week 1, 18/4/2026


- Knowing other systems allows designers distinctiveness in the approach towards organizing information.


Lecture 2: Typographic Composition
- Typographic composition is about the arrangement of textual information in a given space
- Design Principles seem ambiguous when it comes to use in typographic composition.
- The Rule of Thirds: It basically suggests that a frame(space) can be divided into 3 columns and 3 rows. The intersection lines are used as a guide to place the points of interest. Not often used in typographical composition.

Fig 1.2.1, The Rule of Thirds, week 1, 18/4/2026


- The most used system is the Grid System, which is derived from the grided compositional structure of Letter Press Printing. 
- The Grid System has the versatility of the system and its modular nature. It tends to allow an infinite number of adaptations. 
- In reaction to ordered systems of a modernist era, young designers used asymmetry, randomness, repetition, dilatational, and radial systems.  

Fig 1.2.2, David Carson's artwork, week 1, 18/4/2026


- A balance between excitement and understanding of the information is important in creative systems.
- Environmental Grid: This system is based on the exploration of an existing structure or numerous structures combined. An extraction of crucial lines, both curved and straight are formed. (ex, architecture, interior design)
- The Environmental Grid is developed around key features of an environment associated with the communicators of the message. 
- Form and Movement: It is based on the exploration of an existing grid system to dispel the seriousness surrounding the application of the grid system. 
- Variation of the space is needed to keep the arrangement.
- In compositional exercises, the level of complexity increases as newer elements are introduced. 


Lecture 3: Context & Creativity
- The first mechanically produced letterforms were designed to directly imitate handwriting.
- The shape and line of hand-drawn letterforms are influenced by the tools and materials used to make them.
- Alphabet evolves from pictorial representation to sound representation.
- Cuneiform (3000 B.C.E) was the earliest system of actual writing.

Fig 1.3.1 Cuneiform, week 1, 21/4/2026



- Hierographics (2613 ~2160 B.C.E) is a mixture of rebus and phonetic characters.
- Early Greek (5 B.C.E) is based on the Egyptian logogram system. The Phoenicians developed a Phoenician alphabet, and the Greeks added vowels.
- The Phoenician letter marks a turning point in written language by the use of sound represented in letters.

Fig 1.3.2 The Phoenician alphabet, week 1, 21/4/2026


- Emperor Charlemagne standardized the letters in Europe with the Carolingian minuscule.
- The Carolingian minuscule was used for all legal and literary works. It is base of our lower-case Roman type.

Fig 1.3.3 The Carolingian minuscule, week 1, 21/4/2026


- Movable Type (11C ~14C) Printing had already been practiced in China, Korea, and Japan before Gutenberg in Europe.
- Korean established a foundry to cast movable type in bronze.
- Chinese script evolves from Oracle to Seal to Clerical. 
- Mesopotamia was the center of the language and writing system.
- The oldest writing found in the Indus Valley civilization (3500 ~ 2000 B.C.E)
- The Brahmi script (450 ~ 350 B.C.E) is the writing system developed in the Indus after the Indus script. All modern Indian and many Southeastern and East Asian scripts are derived from the Brahmi. 
- Pallava is a South Indian script originally used for writing Sanskrit and Tamil, and was influential all across Southeast Asia.
- The Malay Peninsula would have been using Indian scripts and Kawi to write the old Malay language.
- In modern Malaysia, Jawi is of great importance because it's the script used for all famous works of literature.
- Multi-script typefaces are for the situation where the written matter is communicated in the vernacular script or vernacular and Latin scripts.
- Creativity and inspiration should begin by observing our surroundings and exploring our collective histories.





INSTRUCTION







PROCESS WORK

Typographic Systems
This assignment, it was required us to create the 8 typographic system we learned in lecture. 

I first tried to understand the context of the given text, Russian Constructivism and Graphic Design. I read the article (https://creativepro.com/russian-constructivism-and-graphic-design/) by Ilene Strizver. Russian Constructivism reflected the belief that art should be a means of social change, and artists left behind many works that made a strong impact on the viewer through montage, powerful typography, and the use of color.

After understanding the context, I started to work in InDesign. The artwork originated from a layout I developed through trial and error in InDesign. The Radial and Bilateral systems had limitations on text placement, making it difficult to create anything truly creative.

Below are the 8 systems and the other layouts of the Axial and Radial Systems. 
For the Random System, it was difficult to create the chaos that the teacher said, so I added the green square in the background, and the 2 lines. I tried to create chaos by putting not only the text, but also graphics. If only text, I try to organize them somehow.


Fig 2.1.1 8 systems, week 1, 26/4/2026


Fig 2.1.2 Axial System 2, week 1, 24/4/2026


Fig 2.1.3 Random System 2, week 1, 24/4/2026


In the week 1 consultation, I had feedback that
- All texts need to be radial for the Radial System.
- To create uniqueness, use a serif typeface for Random System, which looks like a modern design.
- Create a hierarchy of information for the texts at the bottom in the Grid System.
-Avoid distortion with condensed font in the Transitional system.
And in general feedback,
- Green color may be avoided for printing matters because of the printing process.
- A 0.5pt thickness line is recommended, so not stand out too much.
- If black is too strong, change it to grey.

I refined 6 of my works, except Axial and Modular Systems, based on feedback. 
- Radial System: created two radial points, so all texts are radial. 

Fig 2.1.4 Radial System refinement, week 2, 28/4/2026


- Dilatational System: I removed the green color for the small date text. Instead, I applied a baseline to differentiate it from the following text.

Fig 2.1.5 Dilatational System refinement, week 2, 28/4/2026


- Random System: changed typefaces for the Title, from sans-serif to serif. Also, changed the color of the background green square, and '2021', in order to make it easier to read.

Fig 2.1.6 Random System refinement, week 2, 28/4/2026


- Grid System: adjusted the hierarchy of information by making the date and time bold and drawing lines. 

Fig 2.1.7 Grid System refinement, week 2, 28/4/2026


- Transitional System: avoided the distortion of the title and department texts.

Fig 2.1.8 Transitional System refinement, week 2, 28/4/2026


- Bilateral System: changed background color from black to grey.

Fig 2.1.9 Bilateral System refinement, week 2, 28/4/2026


Typographic System Final Submission

Axial System
Typeface: Gill Sans Std 

Fig 2.2.1 Axial System final work, week 2, 28/4/2026


Radial System
Typeface: Univers LT Std 

Fig 2.2.2 Radial System final work, week 2, 28/4/2026


Dilatational System
Typeface: Futura Std 

Fig 2.2.3 Dilatational System final work, week 2, 28/4/2026


Random System
Typeface: Adobe Caslon Pro & Futura Std & Gill Sans Std & Serifa Std 

Fig 2.2.4 RandomSystem final work, week 2, 28/4/2026


Grid System
Typeface: Univers LT Std 

Fig 2.2.5 Grid System final work, week 2, 28/4/2026


Modular System
Typeface: Futura Std 

Fig 2.2.6 Modular System final work, week 2, 28/4/2026


Transitional System
Typeface: Futura Std 

Fig 2.2.7 Transitional System final work, week 2, 28/4/2026


Bilateral System
Typeface: Univers LT Std 

Fig 2.2.8 Bilateral System final work, week 2, 28/4/2026


Fig 2.2.9 8 Systems final work, week 2, 28/4/2026


Fig 2.2.10 8 Systems final work PDF, week 2, 28/4/2026


Fig 2.2.11 8 Systems final work PDF with grid/guide, week 2, 28/4/2026


Type & Play
For the second exercise, it was required to create an original typeface from a picture of a repeated natural object. 

First, I read the article that Mr. Vinod shared (https://kreatifbeats.com/2023/08/06/finding-type-a-novel-typographic-exercise/). It's his own blog, and the content is about this type design exercise. I could catch the meaning of this exercise, as well as the working process and final output artwork. 

After that, I searched for a natural repeated picture to extract the type. I wanted to do something original, not something seniors have already done, such as leaves, rock, or ocean. Eventually, I chose a picture of corn. Corn is made up of many kernels, cell-like structures that are repeated in a pattern, and each of these cells has a different shape. Therefore, I thought that I could create a type by tracing those cells.

Fig 3.1.1 Corn picture chosen, week 2, 2/5/2026


I opened Illustrator and tried to trace the corn cells. Observed the cells, I extracted R, O, C, D, and P. I selected these types, which have counters. 
I planned to make rounded counters from the corn cells, which look like squares and pentagons.
Below is the type extraction screenshot. At first attempt, I extracted only with strokes without thickness contrast and space between cells (types in the center). However, it looked too simple and lacked uniqueness. So I converted strokes into fill, added anchor points, and moved them to match the picture. The final extracted types on the right. D may be hard to recognize since it resembles O.  

Fig 3.1.2 Type extraction, week 2, 3/5/2026


The next step is refining the type while referring to the selected typeface. 
For the reference typeface, I chose Eurostile. They have bigger counters than other typefaces, where I want to put the feeling of a corn kernel. 
Below is the type refinement process that I submitted in the week 3 class. In the first three stages, I mainly shaped the type to make it recognizable, and in the last two stages, I adjusted its thickness. I had a misunderstanding in this process, so I was trying to eliminate the corn-like feel from the types and make them closer to Eurostile.

Fig 3.1.3 Type refinement 1, week 2, 4/5/2026


In the week 3 class, Mr. Vinod corrected my and many students' misunderstandings; The type needs to represent the picture. And I got it clear that what I need to create is the types that have a feeling of corn, and Eurostile is just a reference, not necessary to exactly mimic it. 
As specific feedback, he showed me a Tuscan typeface, which has a serif in the middle of strokes, which I might include. Also, he mentioned that the third stage of refinement, the R, was good and advised that I should aim for a similar feel with the other types as well.

Fig 3.1.4 Tuscan typeface, week 3, 5/5/2026


As the feedback, I redo the refinement from the third stage. 
I used the counter of R, which looks like a pentagon, and incorporated it into P and D. For O and C, I made a hexagon by adding one corner to the pentagon, and imitated a rounded shape. 
Next, to create a sense of space between the cells, I adjusted the random shapes protruding from the corners and the ends of strokes. The extracted shapes were rather unsettling, so I made sure they weren't too prominent.
I also incorporated elements of Tuscan Typeface, as suggested in the feedback, into D and P. I felt the addition of decorations in mid-stroke highlights the unique type design.
Finally, I considered the thickness, but I chose the thinner one because it has a sense of tracing between the corn kernels.

Fig 3.1.5 Type refinement 2, week 3, 8/5/2026


Now that the type design is done, I moved on to poster creation. 
I began by creating a background image. Looking at the type I made, it feels like a horror/thriller movie from the thin strokes with inconsistent thickness. Therefore, I decided to create an eerie visual.
The first draft is below. I changed the color of corn and tried to have a strange feeling. But when I put my type and logos, I thought it didn't fit so much. So I explored other visuals. 

Fig 3.1.6 Poster 1, week 3, 8/5/2026


The original picture shows nothing but corn, and a wide shot of the corn lacked impact for the poster visual. So, I zoomed in, and the repetition of the corn kernels stood out, looking eerie.
I utilized this finding and edited it in Photoshop. I touched Curves and Color Balance, etc, to change the colors and make it even more unsettling.

Fig 3.1.7 Photoshop screenshot, week 3, 8/5/2026


I added text in Illustrator. Below is the final work.
I made it neat and simple. I added opacity slightly for the small texts and used Helvetica, imitating Hollywood movie poster design.
Incidentally, while looking at some movie posters, I noticed that many of them used the Bilateral System.

Fig 3.1.8 Poster 2, week 3, 8/5/2026


I showed the poster and got feedback from Mr. Vinod in the week 4 class. He mentioned 3 parts to refine. 
Adjusting the thickness and thinness of the type, more space between the elements at the bottom, and reconsidering the position of the text ' A FILM BY ELIOT CARTER'. 
He explained further in the third feedback why the positioning is not good. The image below shows red and green shapes made by 2 circles. You might not see anything here, but at the bottom, the shapes are flipped. Once flipped, the difference in circle sizes of the green shape suddenly occurred. The same thing can be seen for the 'H'. This is because the human brain tends to see objects at the top appear larger than those at the bottom. From this, he pointed out that ' A FILM BY ELIOT CARTER' gets too much attention since it's placed above the movie title. So he suggested either placing the text below the title, or leaving it above and taking more space between the title. 

Fig 3.1.9 Explanation of Vertical position size illusion, week 4, 12/5/2026


So I worked on refining the work. First, begin with the thickness adjustment. I tried to make the types bold and uniform throughout. While perfect uniformity isn't possible, I aimed to make it appear reasonably even when viewed from a distance. When making adjustments, I noticed that shapes with a big counter in the middle, such as O and C, appeared to have thinner strokes when viewed from a distance, so I set those letters to be slightly thicker than others.


Fig 3.1.10 Thickness adjustment, week 4, 15/5/2026


Next, I refined the positioning of the elements. For the bottom texts and logos, I simply take more space between each. The positioning of 
' A FILM BY ELIOT CARTER', I chose to leave above, because it looks more natural than placing below the title. 
I applied a sense of margin, so the space from 'A FILM BY ELIOT CARTER' to the top edge and from the logos to the bottom edge is consistent.

Fig 3.1.11 Poster 3, week 4, 15/5/2026


Type & Play Final Submission

Fig 3.2.1 Image, week 4, 15/5/2026


Fig 3.2.2 Extracted letterformsweek 4, 15/5/2026


Fig 3.2.3 Reference font, week 4, 15/5/2026


Fig 3.2.4 Refinement processweek 4, 15/5/2026


Fig 3.2.5 Final letterforms, week 3, 9/5/2026


Fig 3.2.6 Original extraction and final letterforms, week 4, 15/5/2026


Fig 3.2.7 Collage of image, dissection and extraction, reference, refinement and final,
week 4, 15/5/2026


Fig 3.2.8 Poster, week 4, 15/5/2026



Fig 3.2.9 Submission PDF, week 4, 15/5/2026





FEEDBACK

Week 1
General Feedback: 
- The blog and other setups are done properly.

Week 2
General Feedback: 
- Put elements one by one in a hierarchy when creating a layout. 
- Black and white contrast may be too much, affecting readability.
- A 0.5 thickness line is recommended, so not stand out too much.
- If black is too strong, change it to grey.
- Use serif and sans-serif when using 2 typefaces to create contrast.
- Use sans-serif typefaces when the background is dark.
- Proximity creates tension.
- Green color for small text may be avoided for printing matters because of the printing process.
Specific Feedback: 
- The radial system needs to be all text radial. 
- Use serif typefaces for the random system in the sake of creativity.
- For the grid system, make a hierarchy of information.
- No distortion with condensed font for the Transitional system. 

Week 3
General Feedback: 
- To create impact, make the strokes thicker where touching open spaces.
- Typefaces need to represent the image.
Specific Feedback: 
- May refer to Tuscan typefaces.
- R is good, so put the feeling of R into other letters.

Week 4
General Feedback: 
- When applying text, use the minimum used color of the background.
- White text may not always match the background.
- Don't use multiple characteristic typefaces in one artwork.
- White and yellow are low contrast, with no readability.
- Use a gradient if there's too much contrast between foreground and background.
- Set the margin and select systems first. 
Specific Feedback: 
- Adjust the thickness and thinness of letters.
- More space for the elements at the bottom.
- Put the A film by... below the title, or above it with more space.
- The brain tends to see objects at the top as bigger.





REFLECTION

Experience 
Unlike the Typography course I took in the first semester, there were no Illustrator or InDesign tutorials, so the class felt fast-paced. Also, it was my first time in Mr. Vinod's class, and the teaching style was different from Mr. Max's, which made me nervous at first, but I've gotten used to it now.
The first exercise was enjoyable for me, as I'm interested in magazine and web design layouts. It was challenging to complete within the given rules, but I was ultimately able to create satisfying pieces.
Type & Play was an exercise that required trial and error in translating a chosen subject into typography. Because my design involved curves and uneven surfaces, I had to carefully adjust anchor points and curves, which was time-consuming.


Observations
In the Type & Design exercise, I created typefaces by extracting features from nature, and in doing so, I observed the importance of developing existing things rather than creating something entirely new. Of course, creating something new is fun and can lead to great achievements, but as a design student, I felt that learning the fundamentals from existing things, researching them, and understanding the techniques involved is a valuable learning experience. 
In Lecture 3, I learned about the history of typography not only in Europe, but all over the world. I would like to utilize that knowledge in my classes and creative work going forward.


Findings
I've realized how important the fundamentals I learned in typography are. A few months have passed, and I've gradually forgotten some of them. 
There have been several times when I've had to stop working to look up things like how to set up leadings or the meaning of phrases. Typography has many rules, so I want to focus on getting those firmly into my head first.





FURTHER READING

Typographic Systems by Kimberly Elam

This is the book Mr. Vinod referred to for the Typographic Systems lecture video. It shows examples and definitions of each system throughout all pages. 

I looked for the Transitional System section, since I couldn't come up with a good idea for it in the exercise. I especially feel difficulty adding uniqueness while arranging texts in layers. It would be just normal vertically placed texts. 

In the book, she said 'The transitional system is the most informal and relaxed system.' Indeed, upon closer inspection, the text appears haphazardly arranged, and in the Advance Phase, the pace between each text is condensed, making it initially difficult to read.
However, I could see that the techniques are employed to draw the viewer's attention, such as using tracking to create spacing between letters in important sentences or incorporating graphics. 

Fig 4.1.1 Typographic Systems page 110


And reading further, I could find creative works using the Transitional System. I especially liked the artwork from Alex Evans. I felt this was a very innovative piece of work, where the translucent gray shapes create density, and that density forms a hierarchy.

Fig 4.1.2 Typographic Systems page 116


Finding Type: A Novel Typographic Exercise by Vinod Nair

As I mentioned in process work, it's a blog post by Mr. Vinod, written about his Type & Play exercise process and his experience as a lecturer. 

Inside the blog, there are many examples of work by senior students. It worked as a good reference for me, imagining the final output and considering which subject matter to choose would allow me to create a creative piece.

Especially, this artwork in the blog helped me during my refinement process. There are vertical and horizontal lines, and trace these lines to form types. It was a similar tracing process to mine with corn. So the refinement process, especially his detailed development for P, showed me the way of refinement. 

Fig 4.2.1 Work by Pun Le Job, 2020


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Typography | Task 1: Exercises

Digital photography and imaging - Project 1