Video & Sound Production | Exercises
- 21/4/2026 ~ 0/0/2026 (Week 1 - Week 0)
- Video & Sound Production
- Takeguchi Shunta/0386416/Bachelor of Design in Creative Media
WEEK 1
Week 1 slide:
Editing Exercise
- Arrange the divided video segments in the correct order to complete one video.
1. Mints
Week 1 Mints final work
2. Doritos
Week 1 Doritos final work
I used Adobe Premiere for the editing; it was my first time using it. The interface seemed complicated at first because it contained unfamiliar terms and functions, but this time it was easy since all I had to do was arrange the videos and export them. Working with Doritos' video took a little time because I had to check the order of the clips.
I want to get more familiar with Adobe Premiere and learn about the differences between it and After Effects.
WEEK 2
Framing Shooting Exercise
- Shoot a short film utilizing shot sizes and edit it with Premiere.
Week 2 Stalker final work
We filmed this short video in a group of 3: me, Mark, and Earl. Earl worked as a director and cameraman because he had a clear idea for the shoot. I also tried to come up with a shooting idea, but I wasn't sure how to plan the shooting. I had learned about shot size in the class, so I understood the basics, but before that, figuring out how to cut the scene was difficult for me since I had no prior knowledge or experience.
In the end, we shot 7 videos, using multiple shot sizes. We applied an over-the-shoulder shot to create tension and also to capture the two actors on camera in a small space. Additionally, the close-up shot of the stalker's running feet appears unique and prevents the video from becoming a series of similar shots.
In the Premier editing, I put the shots in order and trimmed each of them. So that the story goes more smoothly. After that, I input the shot size as a caption. I struggled a bit to decide which size some of the shots belonged to. For example, in the first shot, both people are in the camera, but the stalker in the background is more in focus, so I labeled it a Wide Shot.
WEEK 3
Week 3 slide:
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/13uV-I2BCyAo8G65rbpvXTiZ0WIWyZ4aj/edit?slide=id.p2#slide=id.p2
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/13uV-I2BCyAo8G65rbpvXTiZ0WIWyZ4aj/edit?slide=id.p2#slide=id.p2
Shooting Exercise
- Take pictures as the shots in the slide.
I thought this exercise was easy, and shooting actually finished in a few minutes. Looking at the pictures and comparing them with the examples in the slide, I feel they could be done better, and some pictures may be incorrect.
The first photo is a medium close-up, so I should have gotten a little closer. Also, I'm not sure how much I could do with my iPhone, but I think I should have tried a little harder to focus on the foreground. The last photo was taken vertically in portrait mode, so I cropped it, but it ended up looking like a square.
I underestimated the importance of taking photos. There are limits to what you can do with editing, and I learned it's crucial to position the subject, frame the camera, and then make fine adjustments as you shoot.
WEEK 8
Week 3 slide:
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/13T2uEcN-lDfTsDUp42p3VsLggVvaU382/edit?slide=id.p28#slide=id.p28
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/13T2uEcN-lDfTsDUp42p3VsLggVvaU382/edit?slide=id.p28#slide=id.p28
Color Correction & Color Grading Exercise
- Apply color correction & color grading to the provided video.
Week 8 Color correction & color grading final video
First, I did color correction. Following my teacher's guidance, I set the goal of having the skin tone and the white of the fabric be the same in three shots. The second shot was darker than the others, so I addressed this by increasing the values for Saturation, Shadows, and White in Basic Correction. I also adjusted some values to ensure the skin and fabric had uniform colors. Once I started making fine adjustments, I didn't know when to stop, so it was hard point of this process.
For color grading, given the slightly unsettling atmosphere of the video, I emphasized cool, blue tones. I lowered the values for temperature and tint to create a bluish color, and also lowered the perceived temperature of the screen by setting the Shadow to blue using Color Wheel & Match. I also enhanced the contrast by setting the RGB Curves to an S-shape.
I think the final work turned out natural. Personally, I found color correction more difficult than color grading. I don't fully understand how to interpret Lumetri Color, so it was challenging to achieve a sense of unity in the colors based on my own subjective criteria.
WEEK 9
VFX
- Create a simple trick video from the provided videos.
Week 9 VFX final work
This week in class, I learned some basic VFX editing using After Effects. I was familiar with After Effects because I used it in the first semester. However, back then, I only did simple things like moving objects and changing their scale, so this time, the VFX work involved more complex processing. The initial task of cutting up the footage required me to anticipate how the footage would be edited, and although it was a simple task, it required a lot of planning. Cutting out the person was easy because I could use Object Matte, but overall, even though it was a short video, I found it difficult because it required careful consideration during editing.





Comments
Post a Comment