Advanced Typography | Task 2: Wordmark and Collateral
- 12/5/2026 ~ 21/6/2026/ (Week 4 ~ Week 9)
- Takeguchi Shunta/0386416/Bachelor of Design in Creative Media
- Advanced Typography GCD60104
- Task 2: Wordmark and Collateral
TABLE OF CONTENTS
LECTURES
Lecture 4: Designing Type
- Type design carries a special responsibility, so one must continue
to improve its legibility. Type design is a form of artistic
expression, according to Xavier Dupré.
-
The moral obligation on designers is imperative when they see the
need to be fulfilled.
- Adrian Frutiger contributed to typography, including the typefaces
Univers and Frutiger.
- Frutiger is a clean, distinctive typeface made for the French
Airport. He tested with unfocused letters to see which letterforms
could still be identified.
- Adrian Frutiger also contributed to creating a new Devanagari font
for modern type setting and printing processes.
- Matthew Carter created Verdana and Georgia. Verdana was a typeface
for the Microsoft computer screen.
Fig 1.1.3 Verdana (left) and Georgia (right)
- Matthew Carter also created Bell Centennial, which is for
telephone directories. It keeps legibility even in the rough
printing techniques of telephone directories.
- Edward Johnston created Johnston Sans to unite the London
Underground Group. He applied the proportions of Roman Capital
letters to his typefaces. So it was traditional but had the
simplicity of the modern age.
- Gill Sans was made by mocking Johnston Sans by EricGill.
-
When creating type, we should understand history, anatomy,
conventions, terminologies, sidebearing, metrics, hinting, and
more.
Fig 1.1.7 Construction of capitals and lowercase
- It is important to determine the purpose of the type.
- We should examine existing fonts that are presently being used for
inspiration, ideas, reference, context, usage patterns, and more.
- Sketches can be done by hand or with digital tools; both have pros
and cons.
-
We should take care of the counter form at the digitalization
stage. The readability of the typeface is heavily dependent on
it.
- Testing is an important component in the design thinking process
for refinement.
- If display type, readability, and legibility are not as crucial as
other types.
- Deploy is to find the teething problems that did not occur before.
- Like Roman Capital, using grids with circular forms can facilitate
the construction of letter forms.
- An important visual correction is the extrusion of curved (and
protruding) forms past the baseline and capline (overshoot /
undershoot). This also applies to vertical alignment between curved
and straight forms.
Fig 1.1.10 Overshoot and Undershoot
- The letter must be altered to a uniform visual white space, and it
should appear the same (fitting).
Lecture 5: Perception and Organization
- Perception is "the way in which something is regarded, understood,
or interpreted".
-
Perception in typography deals with the visual navigation and
interpretation of the reader via context, form, and organization
of the content.
- 7 contrast of typography by Carl Dair was created "to make design
work and meaning pop out clearly and unambiguously, and with flair".
It is composed of size, weight, form, structure, texture, color, and
direction.
- Size contrast provides a point to which the reader's attention is
drawn. The common use of size is in making a title or heading
noticeably bigger than the body text.
Fig 1.2.1 Size contrast
(Source: https://www.creativebloq.com/design/fonts-typography/what-is-typographical-contrast)
(Source: https://www.creativebloq.com/design/fonts-typography/what-is-typographical-contrast)
- Weight describes how bold type can stand out in the middle of
lighter type of the same style.
Fig 1.2.2 Weight contrast
(Source: https://www.creativebloq.com/design/fonts-typography/what-is-typographical-contrast)
(Source: https://www.creativebloq.com/design/fonts-typography/what-is-typographical-contrast)
- Contrast of form is the distinction between a capital letter and its lowercase equivalent, or a Roman letter and an italic variant.
Fig 1.2.3 Form contrast
(Source: https://www.creativebloq.com/design/fonts-typography/what-is-typographical-contrast)
(Source: https://www.creativebloq.com/design/fonts-typography/what-is-typographical-contrast)
Fig 1.2.4 Structure contrast
(Source: https://www.creativebloq.com/design/fonts-typography/what-is-typographical-contrast)
(Source: https://www.creativebloq.com/design/fonts-typography/what-is-typographical-contrast)
- Texture refers to the way the lines of type look as a whole up close and from a distance.
Fig 1.2.5 Texture contrast
(Source: https://www.creativebloq.com/design/fonts-typography/what-is-typographical-contrast)
(Source: https://www.creativebloq.com/design/fonts-typography/what-is-typographical-contrast)
Fig 1.2.6 Direction contrast
(Source: https://www.creativebloq.com/design/fonts-typography/what-is-typographical-contrast)
(Source: https://www.creativebloq.com/design/fonts-typography/what-is-typographical-contrast)
- The use of color suggests that a second color is often less emphatic in values than plain black on white.
Fig 1.2.7 Color contrast
(Source: https://www.creativebloq.com/design/fonts-typography/what-is-typographical-contrast)
(Source: https://www.creativebloq.com/design/fonts-typography/what-is-typographical-contrast)
- If contrast is too similar, it creates conflict.
-
Form refers to the overall look and feel of the elements that
make up the typographic composition. Visual impact and first
impression play a role.
- Best design is in between form-based design and functionality.
- From original Greek typography, it can be seen as having two
functions: to represent a concept, and to do so in a visual
form.
- Displaying type as a form provides a sense of letterforms' unique
characteristics and abstract presentation.
-
The interplay of meaning and form brings a balanced harmony, both
in terms of function and expression.
- When typeface is perceived as a form, it no longer reads as a
letter because it has been manipulated by distortion, texture,
enlargement, and has been extruded into a space.
- Gestalt psychology is an attempt to understand the laws behind the
ability to acquire and maintain meaningful perceptions.
- Gestalt theory emphasizes that the whole of anything is greater
than its parts.
-
While a component may be functional at an elemental level, the
sum of its parts is not greater than the whole or the overall
form.
- The law of similarity: elements that are similar to each other
tend to be perceived as a unified group.
Fig 1.2.8 The law of similarity
(Source: https://autovery.weebly.com/blog/similarity-gestalt-principles)
(Source: https://autovery.weebly.com/blog/similarity-gestalt-principles)
- The law of proximity: elements that are close together tend to be
perceived as a unified group.
Fig 1.2.9 The law of proximity
(Source: https://design4users.com/gestalt-theory-for-ux-design-principle-of-proximity-in-interfaces/)
(Source: https://design4users.com/gestalt-theory-for-ux-design-principle-of-proximity-in-interfaces/)
- The law of closure: the mind's tendency to see complete figures or
forms even if a picture is incomplete, hidden by other objects.
- The law of (good) continuation: humans tend to perceive each of
two or more objects as different, singular, and uninterrupted
objects even when they intersect.
Fig 1.2.11 The law of continuation
(Source: https://ixdf.org/literature/topics/gestalt-principles)
(Source: https://ixdf.org/literature/topics/gestalt-principles)
INSTRUCTION
PROCESS WORK
Task 2A
For this task, it was required to create a wordmark that indicates
myself.
I started by creating a mind map and moodboard as instructed. I like
clean, neat design, and it is also my character, so I take these kinds
of words as keywords.
Fig 2.1.1 Mind map, week 4, 16/5/2026
Fig 2.1.2 Keyword and moodboard, week 4, 16/5/2026
I also draw wordmark sketches and digitize. I couldn't come up with an
interesting design here, so it would look like primary sketches. In
the left column of the digitalized sketch, I focused on stroke
continuations. The letters 'h', 'u', and 'n' are combined and
connected like a wave. In the middle, I tried to mock a diligent
feeling, using straight lines and even curves. I realized that I
really need to be creative with how I combine letters to creative
wordmark with this design. Lastly, on the right, I divided each
letter into two strokes, added gaps, or slid one of them horizontally.
This is my favorite of the sketches among them, but I couldn't make
many changes to the letter 'S' because it would cause recognizability
problems.
Fig 2.1.3 Sketches, week 4, 16/5/2026
The refined moodboard is below. I looked through my picture album and
movie rating apps to find my preference. After looking at different
designs, I realized I like brutal architecture and classic posters. There
are cropped pictures of my favorite designs.
Fig 2.1.4 Look and feel moodboard, week 5, 23/5/2026
Fig 2.1.5 Keyword and moodboard, week 5, 23/5/2026
Fig 2.1.6 Illustrator screenshot, week 5, 24/5/2026
In the picture below, I made a different version of the
design.
- Left column: both ends of the vertical strokes in 'A', 'u', and 'n'
are straight lines.
- Middle column: deleted the straight lines, the crossbar of 'S' and
'A' moved lower.
- Right column: the shoulder of 'h' starts from the same height as the
crossbar of 'S' and 'A'.
The left column design feels firm due to the straight strokes. On the
other hand, there's more fun and uniqueness in the middle and right
columns.
Fig 2.1.7 Design exploration, week 5, 24/5/2026
After much deliberation, I chose this piece because it stands out the
most for its originality. Mr. Vinod suggested 3 things: the connected
horizontal line should be removed to make it a cleaner design, adjust
the space between letters, and the shoulder of 'h' can be a more rounded
curve.
Fig 2.1.8 Week 6 submission, week 6, 26/5/2026
The wordmark is approved, so I moved on to the color palette phase. I utilized https://colorhunt.co/ to select the color. Since I like the blue color, I chose color palettes with blue as the main color and tried to apply the colors in Illustrator.
Fig 2.1.11 Color palette apply screenshot, week 7, 2/6/2026
Fig 2.1.12 Color palette apply screenshot 2, week 7, 2/6/2026
As you can see from the screenshot, I tried out many colors, making it
difficult to choose one in the end. However, I ultimately selected the
following color palette because every combination of colors provided
strong contrast and was easy to read, and I particularly liked the
combination of blue and gray. I also thought that the calm gray, the cool
vibe of the light blue and deep blue, and the accent of orange could be
used in various combinations when expanding the wordmark in the
future.
Fig 2.1.13 Selected color palette, week 7, 2/6/2026
Fig 2.1.14 Selected color palette with the wordmark, week 7,
2/6/2026
In the Week 7 online feedback session, I was told that there were
no problems with my color palette, so I moved on to the final work
of Task 2A, the GIF animation. My wordmark is a simple arrangement
of letters; it didn't really evoke much movement, therefore, I
struggled to come up with animation ideas. After much thought, I
decided to create something that utilized the distinctive shape of
the rounded-top rectangle formed by connecting the outlines of the
wordmark, and I came up with the following animation. The
rounded-top rectangle shrinks, and the letters hidden underneath
gradually become visible.
Fig 2.1.15 The rounded-top rectangle, week 7, 3/6/2026
Fig 2.1.16 Animation 1, week 7, 3/6/2026
However, I felt that the animation lacked movement and wasn't
very effective. I worked on improving it. First, I added frames to
create movement, making the rounded-top rectangle appear from the
right. After it stops in the center, the gap appears in the middle
of the shape (which is the space between 'u' and 'n'), and the two
separated shapes gradually shrink until the letters become
visible.
Fig 2.1.17 Animation Photoshop screenshot, week 7, 3/6/2026
Fig 2.1.18 Animation Photoshop screenshot 2, week 7, 3/6/2026
The finished product is shown below. With the addition of
movement, it has become a more visually appealing animation. I
also put effort into adjusting the speed of the transitions on
the timeline to make the movement natural. Making it fast
-> slow -> fast again towards the end. By setting the
speed of the transitions in such detail, I was able to avoid
monotony and add smoothness.
Fig 2.1.19 Animation 2, week 7, 3/6/2026
Task 2A Final Submission
Fig 2.2.1 Black wordmark on white background, week 8,
15/6/2026
Fig 2.2.2 White wordmark on black background, week 8,
15/6/2026
Fig 2.2.3 Colour palette, week 8, 15/6/2026
Fig 2.2.4 Wordmark in actual colours on lightest shade of
colour palette, week 8, 15/6/2026
Fig 2.2.5 Wordmark in lightest shade of colour palette on
darkest shade of colour palette, week 8,
15/6/2026
Fig 2.2.7 Task 2A PDF compile, week 8, 15/6/2026
Task 2B
This part required creating expansions of the wordmark, such as
collateral and pattern. I first tackle making a pattern. Referring
to the page (https://www.pentagram.com/work/parla) provided by Mr. Vinod, I decided to extract characteristic shapes and
lines from my own wordmark. In my wordmark, the strokes used in common
with 'u', 'n', and 'A' are distinctive, so I extracted those. I wanted
to create a simple pattern; therefore, I iterated through the design to
create the following pattern. Also, I created a second pattern that is
an orange rectangle with a pattern cut out.
I tried these patterns out on collaterals to see how they would look. I
used a website where I could download Collateral mockup PSD files
(https://mrmockup.com/free-mockups/) and selected three items—a T-shirt,
a tote bag, and a hoodie—to represent an apparel brand.
First, I designed the T-shirt. I wanted a clean, versatile design that
could be worn anywhere, so I opted for a minimalist design with a logo
on the left chest.
Fig 2.3.3 T-shirt design 1, week 7, 4/6/2026
For the tote bag, I used the second pattern. Same as the T-shirt, I
aimed for a "clean" design, which is my branding keyword. Since the
pattern alone felt a bit bland, I added a fictional address in small
letters below the pattern to provide some visual balance.
Fig 2.3.4 Tote bag design 1, week 7, 4/6/2026
Finally, for the hoodie design, I used the first pattern. I can't quite
explain, but because the hoodie fabric is thick and the silhouette has a
heavy feel, I couldn't come up with a design that fits on the hoodie. In
the end, I settled on a design that combined a large graphic and
balanced positioning of text, as shown in the reference image.
Fig 2.3.6 Hoodie design 1, week 7, 4/6/2026
I wasn't entirely satisfied with the hoodie collateral, but I decided to
rework it based on the feedback I would receive in Week 8, so I moved on to
the next step. To prepare nine images for Instagram, I created designs
incorporating wordmarks into my selfies. Looking back through my albums,
I selected a good selfie and cut it out to create the designs below. I
wanted to add a little accent to the wordmark, so I placed the
rounded-top rectangle in the background. I think that by deliberately
overlapping the cut-out selfie with the wordmark, I created a sense of
perspective and made it a unique piece.
Fig 2.3.8 Selfie with wordmark, week 7, 4/6/2026
Fig 2.3.9 Instagram screenshot 1, week 7, 5/6/2026
Fig 2.3.10 3x3 full-size image grid, week 7, 5/6/2026
I submitted this 3x3 full-size image grid to my Week 8 class. And I was
instructed to revise the design, especially the hoodie. Also suggested
using the keyword in the patterns and collateral. So, I discarded the
first pattern and started redesigning it. Based on the feedback, I came
up with a new pattern that incorporates the brand slogan 'Clean Design
Product', which expands on the keyword 'Clean' and a distinctive
rounded-top rectangle.
Fig 2.3.11 Pattern 3, week 8, 10/6/2026
Fig 2.3.12 Hoodie design 2, week 8, 10/6/2026
Fig 2.4.1 Collateral 1, week 8, 15/6/2026
Fig 2.4.2 Collateral 2, week 8, 15/6/2026
Fig 2.4.4 Instagram screen grab, week 8, 15/6/2026
Instagram account:
https://www.instagram.com/adt27330?igsh=dnY1Y3Axd2d3eWUz&utm_source=qr
https://www.instagram.com/adt27330?igsh=dnY1Y3Axd2d3eWUz&utm_source=qr
Fig 2.4.5 3x3 full-size image grid, week 8, 15/6/2026
Fig 2.4.6 Task 2B PDF compile, week 8, 15/6/2026
FEEDBACK
Week 5
General Feedback:
- Wordmark, expand in various content, it becomes the visual
identity, brand.
- Include a look and feel moodboard.
- Monogram is 2, 3 uses of letters, not wordwark.
- Wordmark needs to be pronounceable.
- Don't show the whole artwork, crop the specific look and feel.
- Space may be an enemy in Workmark.
- Narrow the scope in the moodboard.
- Good exploration starts wide and ends narrow.
- Balance between negative and positive space is crucial.
- Turn on the grid when creating a wordmark.
Specific Feedback:
- Look and feel missing.
- More exploration for sketch.
Week 6
General Feedback:
- Move on to Task 2B once getting approved.
Specific Feedback:
- Adjust the space between letters to make them appear with the
same spacing.
- Adjust the thickness and curve of the shoulder in 'h'.
Week 7
General Feedback:
- No general feedback, since online feedback session.
Specific Feedback:
- My color palette looks good.
- Take care when making the pattern from the wordmark; don't make
it too complicated.
Week 8
General Feedback:
- Use a selfie that looks like a professional designer.
- Expand the wordmark well when putting it on the collateral.
- Apply a different design for each collateral.
- Look at some references provided (https://www.pentagram.com/work/parla), and translate to the expansion to own wordmark.
Specific Feedback:
- The hoodie design can be better, using the pattern in a more
creative way.
- Use keywords in the design and pattern.
REFLECTION
Experience
This assignment, which involved creating my own wordmark, was enjoyable because it offered a high degree of freedom. I was able to create a wordmark I was satisfied with, and I felt a sense of accomplishment by actually opening an Instagram account and posting my work. The only stressful part was the animation creation stage. I used Photoshop to create a GIF, as I learned in Typography class, but the temporary data saved during the process was getting large, and I was unable to save the file or export it. So that process took up more time than expected.
Observations
When I was sketching the initial wordmark, I looked at various works and observed the techniques used to translate images into wordmarks. By looking at a wide range of works, I learned the importance of paying attention to details by considering how details such as letter shapes and spacing manipulate the viewer's perception. I realized that the process of translating an image into shapes and colors is a continuous process of trial and error that requires visual experimentation.
Findings
This assignment involves the expansion of the wordmark, and I found the difficulty of creating a work by expanding on a single theme. I realized that correctly extracting the elements of a theme and creating something fresh that still evokes the theme in the viewer requires a lot of trial and error. I also felt that it requires the skill to observe the theme in detail and extract the characteristic elements that the human eye perceives.
FURTHER READING
What Is a Wordmark Logo and When Should You Use One by
softriver (https://www.softriver.co/blog/what-is-a-wordmark-logo-and-when-should-you-use-one)
This task involved creating a wordmark, so I referred to this website.
It contains a wide range of information about wordmarks, including
their definition, importance, and differences from brand marks. Before
this task, I hadn't heard the term "wordmark" much; I thought all
graphics used by companies and organizations were simply called logos.
So this site taught me that there are further subdivisions, such as
brand marks and lettermarks.
I made some new discoveries about color, particularly from this page.
Regarding color selection, it stated, "A vibrant red might bring
energy and passion to mind, while a calming blue can inspire feelings
of trust and dependability." When I read that, I thought about which
companies came to mind. YouTube and Netflix came to mind for red,
while Windows, Intel, and IBM came to mind for blue, and I realized
that these companies perfectly match their colors and images.
Especially for blue, many IT companies came to mind; the trust and
reassurance derived from digital intelligence are indeed associated
with the color blue. Many typography tasks restrict the use of
color, so I don't have much knowledge about color theory. Therefore, I
would like to use this task to experiment with various colors on my
wordmark and acquire knowledge and skills about color selection.
































.jpg)










Comments
Post a Comment