Video & Sound Production | Project 1

- 21/4/2026 ~ 21/6/2026 (Week 1 - Week 9)

- Video & Sound Production

- Takeguchi Shunta/0386416/Bachelor of Design in Creative Media





EXERCISE 1

Everything Everywhere All at Once - Week 1
- Watch a movie, 'Everything Everywhere All At Once.'

This was a very unique film, and I enjoyed it. The multiverse setting was very well done, and I was excited to watch as the story progressed. However, it wasn't just a simple sci-fi film; it was packed with romance, family drama, comedy, and kung fu action, making it a very substantial two-hour movie.
The fantasy and action scenes featured various special effects, and I realized that's what the lecturer wanted us to pay attention to.

I also watched the video below, in which the VFX team talks about the movie's production. It was surprising that the VFX team consisted of only 5 members. And because of that, they seem to have knowledge of both shooting and editing, not specialized in either. I realized that shooting and editing are continuous processes, and I need to consider how each aspect influences the other while working together.

How a 5-Person Team Made an Oscar-Winning Movie's Effects | WIRED


Audio Dubbing Exercise - Week 3
- Find the sound effect and ambient effect for the Everything Everywhere All at Once clip (group work).
- Record dialogue by own voice.

Week 3 Dialogue audio dubbing 


My group divided the tasks into 3, and I was responsible for finding sound effects. Here is the Excel sheet for our group: 

I had some difficulties when searching for sound effects. For example, the sound of the mop hitting the plastic container when pulled out doesn't come up when I simply search for "mop pull out," so I had to change the search terms or look for similar sounds. It was time-consuming. The sound of the mop was somewhat similar to the sound in the title "Taking Trash Out of Trash Can," although it wasn't a perfect match, but I suggested it to mt group members. At this stage, I've only selected sound effects, so there's a possibility that problems will arise when I combine them with the video, and I might have to find new ones. I thought this task would be simple, but I've realized it's surprisingly difficult.

The dialogue dubbing was an easier task. Before recording my voice, I wanted to try the DIY recording equipment that the lecturer showed in class to get a clean recording, but I gave up because it was difficult to obtain the materials. I recorded using earphones connected to my smartphone while checking the dialogue and video on my laptop. As expected, there was some background noise, so I processed it using Adobe Podcasts to remove the noise.
In Premiere Pro, I trimmed the recording and raised the tone to make it sound more like a woman's voice. Since Premiere Pro offers various editing options, I found it convenient to make corrections to errors in the recording process.


Audio Dubbing Exercise - Week 4
- Complete the audio dubbing.

Week 4 Audio dubbing


In Week 4 of the class, I learned the procedure for audio dubbing in Premiere Pro. Apparently, I was supposed to edit my own voice dialogue during that class. But since I had already worked on this as a Week 3 assignment, I only needed to incorporate sound effects and ambient sounds into the video. I used the Excel file created by the group as a reference to add each sound. However, when I actually applied them to the video, some sounds sounded unnatural, so I found new sounds by myself in those cases. For example, the Narrow room tone chosen as the ambient sound for Everlyn and Waymond's conversation fit the scene, but I felt that applying the sound of the fluorescent light is better, so I used that in my video.

After incorporating the sound effects and ambient sounds to match the scene, I adjusted the volume. Adjusting each track individually in the Audio Track Mixer resulted in differences due to the volume settings of each sound effect file, so I also used Effect Controls to make individual adjustments.

Below are screenshots of Premiere Pro and the finished video. A1 through A3 are the dialogues by each character, A4 and A5 are sound effects, and A6 is ambient sound.

Premiere Pro Screenshot





EXERCISE 2

Sound Shaping Exercise - Week 7
- Shape/edit the audio into different settings.

Before editing with my own recorded audio, I practiced using a sample. (Sample audio work: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/18bVuw9fSR1CMeLcD9xBrzB-rNA-JXJps?usp=sharing) First, I used Parametric Equalizer to process the audio to sound like it was coming from a phone call. Instead of just creating a mountain-shaped curve like the instruction, I adjusted each point to achieve a more realistic sound.

Phone call practice editing screenshot


Next, the Muffle processing didn't show as much of a noticeable change as the Phone Call, so I struggled to figure out where to configure it.

Muffle/Closet practice editing screenshot


In the Space editing, I used reverb. It was fun to see how the sound changed noticeably by adjusting the values. I'm not entirely sure how sound spreads in space, but I edited it to give the impression of a voice resonating in the vastness of the universe.

Space practice editing screenshot


I used both Parametrix Equalizer and Reverb for editing the Toilet/Bathroom. Setting the Reverb values ​​was straightforward, but Parametrix Equalizer was difficult because it required carefully listening to the changes in the sound.

Toilet/Bathroom practice editing screenshot


The sounds in the cave were designed to evoke a sense of spaciousness by making the echoes longer and clearer than those in the Toilet/Bathroom.

Cave practice editing screenshot


I realized that achieving the alien voice would be difficult with just the effects I learned in class, so I researched and added Pitch Shifter and Flanger myself. I used Pitch Shifter to raise the pitch of the voice and Flager to remove the human-like quality.

Alien practice editing screenshot


After the practice, I moved on to the assignment, which required me to do the audio shaping with my own recording. In the recording, I used my smartphone and iPhone's built-in wired earphones. The dialogue was "I am a Taylor's University student. Studying design in creative media," resulting in an audio file about 6 seconds long.

After that, I proceed to editing in Audition using the audio file. The settings for each situation were basically the same as in practice. Own audio work: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1AVTyHp7l6nU1MbZtOVKQ1X07_nWKte7I?usp=sharing. Below are screenshots of the editing process.

Phone call editing screenshot


Closet editing screenshot


Toilet/Bathroom editing screenshot


Cave editing screenshot


Alien editing screenshot


My voice is lower than the woman's in the practice recordings, so I made fine adjustments to the Pitch Shifter and Parametric Equalizer. I tried to make each voice recording convey the situation just by listening to it, and I think it turned out well.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Typography | Task 1: Exercises

Digital photography and imaging - Project 1