Video & Sound Production | Project 2

- 28/4/2026 ~ 28/6/2026 (Week 2 - Week 11)

- Video & Sound Production

- Takeguchi Shunta/0386416/Bachelor of Design in Creative Media





EXERCISE 1

Premier Editing Exercise - Week 2
- Trim the shots and add the effect according to the tutorial video.

Week 2 LaLin final work


For this exercise, it took a certain amount of time since I needed to trim each shot and also put them in order. However, thanks to a lucid tutorial video, the process was simple. I'm gradually learning more and more about Premiere, and it's becoming more fun. This time, I learned how to apply various effects when switching between shots, so I'd like to try them out in the future. Also, since this video was shot by senior students, little worried about whether we'll be able to shoot a good video when our time to shoot something similar comes, but I'll do my best.


Trimming Exercise - Week 3
- Shorten the LaLin video from week 2 to 40-45 seconds.

Week 3 LaLin final work


I mostly trimmed the first few shots. Since they are just shots where characters are texting on their phones. On the other hand, for some dramatic shots, such as her taking off her mask and her reading his book, I didn't touch them and kept them long, so that there's more time for viewers to catch the feeling of the shots and create an emotional sense. 


Color Grading Exercise - Week 8
- Apply color correction and color grading to the LaLin video.

Week 8 LaLin final work


I used techniques learned in the Week 7 lecture and Week 8 class to edit the color of the LaLin video. Regarding color correction, I made sure not to over-edit because the original video already looks good. First, I edited the shots of the man and the woman in the restroom to match the tone. The shots of the man were taken near a window, so I lowered the White value to reduce the glare of the sunlight. I also made various other minor adjustments to achieve a natural look.

Premiere Pro screenshot 1


I learned that color grading is the imaginative editing of the colors in a video, so I first reviewed the LaLin video to consider which colors should stand out. Since LaLin is an emotional romance story, I decided to use a warm orange and teal color scheme. The orange and teal colors were explained in the slides and videos, so I followed those instructions while editing. I set the overall color tone to orange using Basic Correction's Color, and then fine-tuned it using the Light adjustments. I don't have much knowledge about color settings, so it's difficult to explain the theory behind them, but I adjusted them myself until the screen had a nice color tone.

Premiere Pro screenshot 2


Next, I curved the RGB Curve in Curves to create an S-shape. I didn't think it would make much difference just changing from a straight line to an S-curve, but it added depth to the contrast, and the result was great. I realized that adjusting the contrast using the RGB Curve allows for more precise control.

Premiere Pro screenshot 3


Finally, to further accentuate the orange and teal tones, I followed the instructions in Color Wheels & Match, setting the highlights and midtones to orange and the shadows to blue. The orange was already quite prominent before adjusting the Color Wheels, so I made sure not to overdo it. Similarly, I felt that too much teal would clash with the emotional atmosphere of the piece, so I set it about halfway from the center point.

Premiere Pro screenshot 4


Ultimately, I feel I was able to express LaLin's moving and warm atmosphere through color. This time, I mainly created contrast with the orange of the skin and the white background and the teal of the characters' clothing, but I'd like to try color grading videos with more vivid teal, such as skies and seas.


Text Messages Input - Week 9
- Input text messages PNG in LaLin video.

Week 9 LaLin final work


Here, following the instruction video, I added PNG text messages and notification sounds to the video. I used the original video as a reference for where to place the text messages. When placing the text, I made sure it didn't overlap with the characters. I also paid attention to the display time so that viewers could read the text sufficiently. In the scene from 14 seconds, where her online photo is displayed, I added a scale movement to create a slow zoom, following the original video.

Premiere Pro screenshot 5





EXERCISE 2

Trial shooting - Week 5

Week 5 Trial shooting final work


In Week 5 of the class, we filmed a short scene as practice before the main shoot in Week 6. First, we decided on our roles within the crew, and I became an actor. Since actors don't need to operate any equipment, I didn't learn much about that. However, while waiting for the shoot, I could observe people in various roles, which helped me understand the on-set dynamics and the flow of filming.

The video above is a compilation of two shots edited together in Premiere Pro. The actors' voices sounded a little quiet, so next time I want to pay more attention to microphone placement and voice volume.


 Production shooting - Week 6

Week 6 Production shooting


In week 6, as a group, we shot multiple scenes from Everything Everywhere All at Once. Same as last week, I played the role of an actor who played Evelyn. It took quite a while before we could start shooting the first scene, due to adjustments to various pieces of equipment and discussions about shooting methods. However, with the instructor's advice, we were able to proceed with filming much more smoothly afterward.

I was only in charge of three scenes; the rest of the time was spent waiting. Since I lacked knowledge about filming, I mostly waited to avoid getting in the crew's way, but I tried to find ways to help, such as moving and putting away props. When it was finally my turn to shoot, I felt a little nervous as the room suddenly became quiet before filming began. Because of this, I made a mistake with my lines once. However, after that, I made sure to check my lines repeatedly to avoid such mistakes, and we completed the shooting successfully. The shooting was long and tiring, but everyone on my team contributed, and I think we had great teamwork. I hope to use the footage we shot effectively to create a great final product.


Trailer Editing - Week 6 ~ 11
- Edit the shooting footage into a 30 - 60-second movie trailer

Trailer final work


Once filming was complete, I was instructed to freely create a movie trailer-style video using the footage and everything I had learned.

The initial stages of production were the most difficult, because I didn't know where to begin. I struggled with whether to start by arranging the footage or by finding background music and then arranging the footage accordingly. After much trial and error, I decided to arrange the footage to a certain extent, then search for suitable background music while fine-tuning the footage. Since there were action scenes in the footage, I looked for music that conveyed tension. Finding the right background music took a considerable amount of time, as I had to see the lengths and whether the powerful sounds matched the footage. I chose two pieces of background music: one that evokes a sad feeling and another that is powerful and tense. Since the piano is prominent in both, I feel that it creates a sense of unity throughout the whole piece. Once the background music and visuals were somewhat decided, the story began to take shape, so I decided to put captions between the footage. The story is set up as a father seeking revenge after his child's life is taken. To make it clear that he is a father, I indicated the parent-child relationship with the caption 'One day he was a father', and to make it clear that his anger and desire for revenge are beginning to sprout with 'And one day...' and 'He is a mad man'.

Next, I added the film company's logo, sound effects, and title in sequence. However, it still wasn't over 30 seconds long, so I imitated the technique seen in some trailers where a short, impactful video is inserted after the title (like the Marvel movie trailer: https://youtu.be/6ZfuNTqbHE8). I reversed a shot of the protagonist smiling, transitioning from a smile to a serious expression. I also edited the video to turn monochrome when his expression changed to serious, representing the image of a father consumed by revenge. I felt that adding such effects to the video, like this scene and the slow-motion in the action scene, would give it a more sophisticated feel. Finally, I added a text clip with the credits and "Coming soon," completing a video that was over 30 seconds long. However, I felt I wanted to add a little more detail, so I added video transitions and text effects. In particular, I controlled the blur, scale, and opacity of the text to give it a high-quality feel. I also cropped 20% of the top and bottom of the footage to give it a more authentic movie feel. This created black bars at the top and bottom, making it look like a letterboxed movie.

Text effect


Cropping footage for a letterboxed look


After fine-tuning the sound and video settings, I performed color correction and color grading as the final step. Color correction was made based on the skin tones of the characters. The opening scene where the protagonist opens his eyes was filmed by a window during daylight hours, so I adjusted the saturation of that scene accordingly. I also slightly increased the shadows to give the overall impression of a thriller image. 

Color correction of the first shot


I edited the color grading as an orange and teal tone, which I learned in class. Applying Color Wheels & Match made it look a bit overdone, so I only lightly adjusted the midtones.

Basic correction (color grading)


Curves (color grading)


Color Wheels & Match (color grading)


Since there was limited footage this time, creating a story and making a trailer required a lot of imagination. Also, because there was a lot of freedom, I often wondered what to add, but by referencing various movie trailers and adding different elements, I was able to create a satisfying piece in the end.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Typography | Task 1: Exercises

Digital photography and imaging - Project 1