Typography | Task 3: Type Design and Communication

 
-14/11/2025 - 14/12/2025/(Week 8 - Week 12)

-Takeguchi Shunta/0386416/Bachelor of Design in Creative Media

-Typography 

-Task 3: Type Design and Communication



 

TABLE OF CONTENTS




 

LECTURES




INSTRUCTION






PROCESS WORK

Research

Type dissection

I chose Futura and conducted a dissection of the types H, o, g, b. 
The bowl of 'g' was difficult to trace the curve, so it looked messy in the end.

Dissection of H


Dissection of o


Dissection of g


Dissection of b


I learned that in the 'g', there is a horizontal line between the bowl and the link. We can also see that in the 'b', between the stem and the bowl. 
Another thing I learned is that the ascender of the 'b' is higher than the cap-height of the 'H'.


Ideation

I started by sketching my type design ideas for 5 types: 'O' 'L' 'S' 'N' 'G'. I want to make a bold and simple type design, so I chose to sketch the uppercase types.
The first sketch, my concept was half-circles. I tried to input a circle shape or multiple according to the type. I liked the 'L' design since it is simple and expresses the beauty of half-circles. But for others, I could not create creative half-circle designs.

Type design sketch 1


The second design concept was triangles. Just like the previous design, but this time triangles.
I tend to install triangles at the ends of lines to make them look organized, although it makes them a bit boring design. 

Type design sketch 2


My third design concept was slides. I shifted the types by the center lines; the top design is vertically divided, and the bottom is horizontally divided. I thought it was interesting that they do not lose the readability dramatically. 

Type design sketch 3


During the consultation with Mr. Max, he suggested that the second triangle design could work, but it needs to be refined further. The work after the consultation is below. I focused on the idea of triangles and spacing. I could assign a sense of unity to all the types with this design. 'L', 'E', 'D', 'C', and 'G' are my favorite designs; they all have a rectangular shape stem on the left, and the other parts on the right are expressed by triangles mainly. They look minimal but also luxurious. 

Type design sketch 4


However, Mr. Max advised that 
- 'S' and 'N' are not readable enough
- 'I' would improve by placing triangles for the top and bottom
- A comma should be added with the same design as a full stop
- Hashtag needs a better design to match others
The reworked design is below. I could conceive a nice idea of 'N', which uses the diagonal edges of triangles. 

Type design sketch 5


But the 'S', 'N', and hashtag still could not get approval, so Mr. Max shared his idea, which is below. All types focus on the concept of spacing here. 

Type design sketch 6


I moved to the digitalization process in Illustrator. It was quite easy since my design only has simple shapes without curves. I tried to use the same size triangles, but for some types, I had to make adjustments; for example, I had to make the triangles of 'D' smaller to make it readable and look stylish. 
For Digitalization 1, I forgot to set the width of the alphabet to the same value. So, Digitalization 2 is a rework with the same width for each type. 

Digitalization 1


Digitalization 2


I also took care of the space between shapes during the digitalization process. I made a blue stroke rectangle and used it to make the space equal in the types. The screenshot below is a space adjustment for the types that have a vertical line on the right, such as 'L', 'E', and 'D'. You can see the blue rectangle in the screenshots if you click or zoom in. 

Space adjustment 1

In the two screenshots below, I used another rectangle to adjust the space for 'N', 'H', and 'T'. 

Space adjustment 2


Space adjustment 3


After that, I modified the width and height of the punctuations, and the digitalization process was done.


Digitalization work


The FontLab process had two main parts: importing the design and setting the side bearings and kerning. Importing the design was simple, although the kerning process was a bit time-consuming. Needed to look at the types from a distance and try different amounts of kerning. 

FontLab screenshot


Final outcome

The type download link(https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Dvs1EW-l9NEclvXLlAruBU4TVOCKABjj/view?usp=sharing)


Initial type design sketch


FontLab screenshot


FontLab screenshot 2

Final artwork in Illustrator(JPEG)


Final artwork in Illustrator(PDF)


Final poster with triangle type(JPEG)


Final poster with triangle type(PDF)




Type tester





FEEDBACK

Week 8

General Feedback: Introduction to task 3.
Specific Feedback: None.


Week 9

General Feedback: How to conduct task 3A dissection.
Specific Feedback: My type design sketch with the triangles concept is good and original; the other 2 sketches are common. Need to refine some letters and complete the sketch for all letters. 


Week 10

General Feedback: Instructions for digitalization using Illustrator.
Specific Feedback: S, N, I, , and # are not readable or not similar to other designs, so changed to new ideas. 


Week 11

General Feedback: Introduction for the FontLab process.
Specific Feedback: All letters need to be the same width. 


Week 12

General Feedback: Consultation of task 3.
Specific Feedback: Punctuation height should be within the x-height. My poster looks okay. 





REFLECTION

Experience

I was excited about this task, as I can create my own type and use it like the one I use every day. However, I struggled and took a long time to come up with designs. I needed to be original and unique, but also take care of readability. 
Another tough part of this task was kerning in FontLab. I felt it was difficult to set the kerning just using my visual sensitivity, not numerical value. So after adjusting kerning long time, I started to confuse how much I should kern. I learned that sometimes the kerning process needs others' opinions, since it might be my subjective eye's kerning. 


Observations

In the dissection part, I realized that even the simple types like Futura, Univers are designed with every detail carefully considered. The bowls' lines are not drawn by a single or a few circles, but by the combination of many circles to create the solid lines. I felt that font design required both a visual perspective of readability and beauty, and a mathematical perspective of smoothness and uniformity of lines or shapes.


Findings

I learned that writing types with a pen is easy, but designing them takes a lot of effort. Types also come in a variety of shapes. For example, 'S' is made up of almost all curved parts, so I had to think about how to design the letter while maintaining uniformity in my design. Also, when it is designed like mine, which are not simply represented by lines, I had to be careful about what elements of each type would allow people to recognize them. In the design created for this task, it seems possible that the 'S' could be mistaken for an 'N'. Perhaps it could be improved by adding some elements to make it more recognizable as an 'S'.





FURTHER READING


This website explains how we should practice bold and italic in typography work. I use bold and italic in most of my work so far, especially this e-portfolio. I use them mostly for emphasizing. But I did not know that italics in the sans-serif typefaces do not really stand out enough to emphasize as this website exposition. I want to use proper bold and italic from now, when I want to highlight heavily, using bold, and highlight gently, using italic. 



On this website, the writer introduces tips to improve typography hierarchy on digital devices. I especially liked the GitHub website example. GitHub uses many pictures or illustrations that divide the sections, creating hierarchy. This eliminates the need for long text and also makes it easier to get an image for the product. I think we do not often get the chance to use the technique of creating a hierarchy with photos, but I thought it was an interesting idea.


Typographic Design Form Communication - Page 36 Optical relationships within a font

This page is dedicated to explaining the small adjustments to typefaces to make them look more natural. For example, Horizontal strokes are drawn slightly thinner than vertical strokes in both curved and straight letterforms. This is to avoid the horizontals appearing too thick. I could learn that there is detailed work in the type design process. And thanks to that, we can read the text smoothly. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Typography | Task 1: Exercises

Digital photography and imaging - Project 1