Typography | Task 4: Final Compilation & Reflection


-Task 4: Final Compilation & Reflection

-19/12/2025 - 02/01/2025/(Week 13 - Week 14)

-Typography 

-Takeguchi Shunta/0386416/Bachelor of Design in Creative Media



 

INDEX

Task 1: Exercises



 

SUBMISSION

Task 1: Exercises - Type Expression & Text Formatting

Final work(12 October 2025)


Final work PDF(12 October 2025)


Final work(24 October 2025)

Final work(24 October 2025)


Final work JPEG(24 October 2025)
 

Final work PDF(24 October 2025)



Final work with grid JPEG(24 October 2025)


Final work with grid PDF(24 October 2025)


Formatting detail
HEAD

- Font/s: Adobe Caslon Pro Bold

- Type Size/s: 24 pt

- Leading: 24 pt

- Paragraph spacing: 0 mm
 
BODY

- Font/s: ITC New Baskerville Std  Roman

- Type Size/s: 10 pt

- Leading: 12 pt

- Paragraph spacing: 12 pt

- Characters per line: 60
characters
- Alignment: justified left
 
Page Margins
- top + left + right + bottom: 17mm 14.5mm 14.5mm 17mm

- Columns: 2

- Gutter: 10mm


Task 2: Typographic Exploration and Communication

Final work JPEG(12 November 2025)


Final work PDF(12 November 2025)



Final work with grid JPEG(12 November 2025)


Final work with grid PDF(12 November 2025)


HEAD

-Font/s: Futura Std light condensed
-Type Size/s: Around 350pt(outlined for adjustment)
-Leading: 0
-Paragraph spacing: 0
 
BODY

-Font/s: Univers LT Std 55 Roman
-Type Size/s: 20pt
-Leading: 23pt
-Paragraph spacing: 23pt
-Characters per-line: 26~42 
-Alignment: Justify with last line aligned left
 
Page Margins

 Left page
-Top + Inside + Outside + Bottom: 100px + 80px + 280px + 20px
-Columns: 2
-Gutter: 60px

Right page
-Top + Inside + Outside + Bottom: 100px + 150px + 200px + 20px
-Columns: 2
-Gutter: 60px


Task 3: Type Design and Communication



Initial type design sketch(27 November 2025)


FontLab screenshot(12 December 2025)


FontLab screenshot 2(12 December 2025)


FontLab screenshot 3(12 december 2025)


Final work in Illustrator JPEG(12 December 2025)


Final work in Illustrator PDF (12 December 2025)


Final poster with triangle type JPEG (12 December 2025)


Final poster with triangle type PDF (12 December 2025)





REFLECTION

Experience
Throughout the three tasks and lecture sessions, I could learn the basic knowledge and skills. I had an interest in web design and layout design for printing, so it was fun to study the content in this module. And each task is dedicated to enhancing different skills, so I feel like I could get familiar to typographer's work using the knowledge I gained in the lecture. It was only 14 weeks study, but I now see the printed matters, public signs, and social media posts differently, from the perspective of typography such as typeface and font size.


Observations
I found that I prefer typography more than illustration. With illustrations, you have to use your own creativity to create original, eye-catching works from scratch. However, I think typography places importance on how to combine and fine-tune the content that is there, so I feel that this suited me. I also prefer minimalist designs over complex ones, so I felt that being able to use only black and white and explore designs that prioritize readability, as I did in the tasks, suited me.


Findings
I realized that the essence of typography is in the details. Readability is paramount in typography. Our eyes and the cognitive functions are delicate, so I thought typography requires such attention to detail to adapt to them. For this reason, I felt it was important to learn the knowledge and history left behind by our predecessors and to understand why changes are made to the details. I also realized that typography is a field of study where skill is tested, in terms of how creativity is added after the quest for readability. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Typography | Task 1: Exercises

Digital photography and imaging - Project 1