Digital photography and imaging - Project 2

-22/10/2025 - 25/11/2025 (Week 5 - Week 9)

-Takeguchi Shunta/0386416/Bachelor of Design in Creative Media

-Digital photography and imaging

-Project 2



ARTWORKS


Double exposure demo





Double exposure original work


Production process: https://shuntatakeguchi.blogspot.com/2025/11/digital-photography-and-imaging-week-5.html


Photo manipulation


The double exposure task was difficult to come up with a creative idea. I searched up some ideas on the internet, but it shows the similar work to the demo, trees on a human face. So I picked interesting pictures and tried to make a double composition with them. In the end, I think I could create an original work. 
For the photo manipulation task, I could gain some knowledge for shooting. I watched the videos shared by the professor and tried to utilize the skills in the videos. I especially cared for the lighting; I shot both sunlight and artificial light to see how they appear. In the editing process in Photoshop, I struggled to make the apples appear like they were in the blister pack. I needed to search for some effects to do it, but it helped me to be better at Photoshop.




PHOTO MANIPULATION PROCESS WORK


Week 6

Research for the project 2 idea. I began by selecting suitable objects that could be used in this project. Below are my ideas.

1. Esc key on the screen

Take pictures of the esc key and the laptop. Deleting the esc key from the laptop keyboard, insert the esc key in the laptop screen, so that it can express the esc key is escaping from its position.
Idea sketch


2. Eraser as delete key

Take pictures of the delete key and an eraser. Place a photo of an eraser on the delete key position. It would be interesting, as it combines analog and digital elements.
Idea sketch 2


3. Apple as tablet medicine

Take pictures of an apple and tablet medicine stocks. Place the apple photo in each tablet medicine stock. I found this idea because apples are healthy and keep doctors away.
Idea sketch 3


Week 7

I got approval from the professor for sketch 3, 'Apple as tablet medicine', so I moved on to shooting the object. I read through the reference above to adapt techniques in my shooting. First, I did a shoot with the light, not using sunlight. 

Apple with artificial light 1


Apple with artificial light 2


Apple with artificial light 3


Blister pack with artificial light 1


Blister pack with artificial light 2


After that, I tried shooting with natural sunlight, in the bright morning light, on a desk just to the left of the window. I tried many angles here, such as Eye-level shots, 45-degree angle, and shots at a 0-degree angle. 

Apple with sunlight 1


Apple with sunlight 2


Apple with sunlight 3


Apple with sunlight 4


Apple with sunlight 5


Blister pack with sunlight 1


Blister pack with sunlight 2


Blister pack with sunlight 3


Blister pack with sunlight 4


It was my first time doing product shooting, so I did not really know what I should adjust or care for. But through the shooting, by changing various things and seeing how the photo changed, I think I've gotten a better grasp of the tricks of photography.


Week 8

I moved on editing process in Photoshop. I picked the two photos below from the photos I took.

Selected apple photo for editing


Selected blister pack for editing


These two pictures were taken from the same angle, so I thought they could express a realistic reflection when edited as one picture. 
These are the editing steps I took in Photoshop
1. Removing background from each photo
2. Using the ellipse tool, make circles to match the shape of the white pills
3. Select the circle shape and Edit > Content-Aware Fill

Content-Aware Fill screenshot

Content-Aware Fill intelligently replaces a selected area with synthesized image content from the surrounding background. I carefully selected a background to be synthesized by the green color brush. 

4. Place apples in the blister pack
5. Create adjustment layers and clipping masks for grouped apple layers
Curves adjustment


Brightness/Contrast adjustment


Hue/Saturation adjustment


6. Adding blur effects for apples, Filter > Blur > Gaussian Blur

The selection process was easy since I used the ellipse tool, taking advantage of the round pill shape. Content-Aware Fill was first time using, but it was straightforward to understand how to use. I struggled with figuring out how to edit the apples to fit into the blister pack, but I think just using what I learned in the practical sections led it sufficient results.

Edited work


Week 9

The professor gave me an improved idea in the week 9 class, so I started all over from the shooting process. 
He suggested putting an apple, which will not be edited, behind the blister pack, like the picture below.  This change makes it easier for viewers to identify the objects as apples than previous work. 

Apple and blister pack


Apple

Apple 2


The process in Photoshop is almost the same as the previous work.
1. Removing background from each photo
2. Using the ellipse tool, make circles to match the shape of the white pills
3. Select the circle shape and Edit > Content-Aware Fill

Content-Aware Fill screenshot


4. Place apples in the blister pack
5. Create adjustment layers and clipping masks for grouped apple layers

Curves adjustment


Brightness/Contrast adjustment


Hue/Saturation adjustment


6. Adding blur effects for apples

Blue effect screenshot


7. Adding noise effect for apples

Noise effect screenshot


8. Adding shadows using by black pen tool

Shadow on the bottom left of the apple


9. Duplicate the pill-shaped background created with content-aware fill and place it on top of the apple with soft light and opacity 34% to make the apples look like in the pill stocks

Duplicating screenshot


Screenshot after placing it on the apple


Final work


Compared to the previous work, this work is better at recognizing that the objects are apples. The apples taken out of the blister pack also add movement, which I think makes the piece even more profound.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Typography | Task 1: Exercises

Digital photography and imaging - Project 1